Nutella

Friday, March 10, 2006

Posted by Meeta K. Wolff

I made a little mess today while preparing Soeri's snack boxes. So I hope you will learn from my mistake and not do what I did.

Morning Snack: I wanted to make a salami and cheese toastie in the sandwich maker. Normally I would use proper wholemeal toast bread as they are best for this. However, I wanted to try it with the fresh bread from the bakery. I spread a bit of butter (yes, Soeri, gets butter every now and then) and then a nice slice of italian salami and cheese. Well so far so good, I put it in the sandwich maker and the bread was not made for this abuse I guess! It was far too soft and fell apart, leaving me with melted cheese everywhere. BooHoo! Well I decided it serves me right anyway, fresh bread is supposed to be eaten ... fresh and not put into the toaster. So, I spread the sandwich again and left it in its original form. Soeri, was just laughing at me and then probably decided to take pity at me because he helped me arrange the cherry tomatoes and the cucumber batons in the box. To this I added some plain yoghurt and a few crunchy choc. biscuit bits with a small handful of sunflower seeds.

Afternoon snack: On two plain fillinchen (they are great thin crispy wafer like slices) I spread Nutella. Yes, that fantastic hazelnutty, chocolaty spread and yes, not so healthy. But let's be honest a little sin every now and then makes life a little more exciting, even for the kids. With this he got a container crammed with fresh organic strawberries and white grapes.

Adult Variation:
Instead of using the wholemeal bread for the sandwich you could use a nice ciabatta. Put a few layers of italian salami and grate some parmesan or pecorino cheese over the top. Put it in the oven for a few minutes until the cheese has melted and the bread is crispy. To this you could make a nice caprese (tomato mozzarella) style salad. Take the cherry tomatoes and cut them in half. Use the small mozzarella balls and add a few to the tomatoes. Add a generous helping of good olive oil and a nice shot of balsamic vinegar. Sprinkle fresh chopped basel and salt and pepper. Once again you can switch the yoghurt over to the fruit container. This time, you could also make a yoghurt smoothie by just throwing all of the fruit and yoghurt into a blender and blend well.
Folks, do you really want me to give you an alternative for the Nutella wafers? ;-) Go, on treat yourself to a bit of fun. Your lunch box looks healthy and you deserve it!
Enjoy!

2 comments:

YUM the salami sandwich sounds wonderful. And I'm with you on the nutella! :-)

Anonymous said...
March 10, 2006 at 1:44:00 PM GMT+1  

RE: And I'm with you on the nutella! :-)
Well Hallelujah for that! I thought I was going to get some nit pickers telling me all the bad things I was giving my son with that helping of Nutella!

Meeta K. Wolff said...
March 10, 2006 at 4:15:00 PM GMT+1  

Post a Comment