The New Daily Tiffin

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Posted by Meeta K. Wolff

Just about a week after I announced my new intentions for the Daily Tiffin, I am so proud and very honored to announce the new team and concept for this blog.

About The Daily Tiffin

The Daily Tiffin started off as a daily web log for the lunch boxes packed by Meeta, the creator of the Daily Tiffin, for her 4 year old son, Soeren.

It is evolving into something more now. Concentrating on healthy, active and fun family life, I have decided to bring on a few great people to join the team. The idea behind the new Daily Tiffin is to share ideas, thoughts, articles, reviews and recipes for our family life. So, you'll not only find ideas for lunch boxes for your kids but also creative lunches for adults too. There will be interesting articles on healthy eating and reviews about products, books etc. You'll also find scrumptious recipes here that you can add to your lunches for the kids or for the hubby! The main thing that you will find here is fun.

This is about a balanced life and not about getting every little detail right. It is about discussing the ideas and commenting on the thoughts. There'll be things for mums and dads, but most important you'll find great ideas for the little ones in our lives.

Here are all the wonderful helping hands that have made the Daily Tiffin a great place to be.

About Meeta - Administrator, Organization
I am a working mum and have a 6 year old son, Soeren. When I am not busy with family and making lunches, you'll find me working for the Bauhaus-Universität Weimar in Germany. I am passionate about living a fun and good life, which mainly revolves around my family, work and hobbies. Offering Soeren good values and setting a healthy base in life is very important to me. You might see me jetting off with my camera in my hands and lost in some photo shot - you see I am an amateur photographer and am always looking for the perfect picture.
Read articles by Meeta
Meeta's blog: What's For Lunch, Honey?

About Aparna- Contributor My name is Aparna and I blog at My Diverse Kitchen, which is a vegetarian food blog. I enjoy cooking and baking, especially bread, but that doesn't mean the kitchen is always my favourite place in the house!

I am a stay-at-home-mom to our 13 year old daughter. We are from the south Indian state of Kerala (more famous for its coconut trees, backwaters and ayurveda) and we now live in Goa (known for its beaches, churches and Portuguese influenced cuisine).

My husband, our daughter and I are vegetarian by tradition and by choice, though we do eat eggs occasionally. We enjoy good food and are willing to try anything at least once, so long as it is vegetarian.

In my spare time (when I am not blogging) I enjoy reading, listening to music, watching movies, traveling with my family, gardening, embroidery, painting azulejos and especially enjoy doing creative projects with my daughter.

As you can see, I have too many interests and too little time to spend on all of them! Thanks to blogging, I have a new found passion for photography and am now in the process of trying to make sense of my camera and the mysteries of light!
Read articles by Aparna
Aparna's blog: My Diverse Kitchen

About Bina - Contributor Bina grew up in Mumbai and credits the unforgettable meals in her home and those of her friends for turning her into a complete foodie! Collecting cookbooks and recipes became somewhat of an obsession and just when they threatened to take over the entire house, she (happily!) stumbled upon the world of food blogs. She loves to browse through her favorite blogs hunting down interesting recipes to try out and share with family and friends.

Bina has a Masters degree in Biology and worked as a researcher before turning into a stay-at-home mom when her son was born. She lives in the US with her husband and son and in her spare time, likes to paint in watercolor, sew and cross-stitch.
Read articles by Bina

About Dee - Co-Administrator, Events
Before food blogging turned from a hobby to a full time obsession, I used to work in the areas of Supply chain management and Customer service management. 8 years in these professions left a yearning in me for a break. My Husband's transfer to the US gave me this much wanted break. Initially bogged down by free time, I started Ammalu's kitchen (Ammalu means Little Girl in my mother tongue) to pen down my culinary journey from a novice cooking vegetable stir fries to my present day avatar.

Apart from blogging I love to sleep in the car while my husband is driving, sometimes feigning illness if required to snatch a wink! Time becomes a long warp when I'm reading, be it internet or books. On a more personal level, I'm a proponent of Yoga and ayurveda, and am embraking on a journey to explore these ancient jewels of India.
Read articles by Dee
Dee's blog: Ammalu's kitchen

About Deeba- Contributor
My name is Deeba & I blog @ Passionate About Baking...& beyond. I’m excited to be part of Daily Tiffin & am just over a year old to blogging. I worked for 8 years with British Airways as a Passenger Services Manager, & left when my daughter was born. Am a happy stay-at-home Mom, with 2 lovely kids (12 & 9, who hand me plenty of ups & downs) & an appreciative hub. Baking is my passion, & reading cookbooks, photography, art & craft are in every breath I take. Blogging has become a HUGE part of my life & I’m happy to be part of a wonderfully active & exuberant blogging community. I live in Gurgaon, which lies in the suburbs of New Delhi, the capital of India.
Read articles by Deeba
Deeba's blog: Passionate About Baking...& beyond

About Hilda - Contributor
Hilda was born in Iran but grew up in France and the U.S. and is now married to someone who is equally divided in his origins, none the same as hers, which along with her two step-children (16 & 9) makes for an interesting household. She is not working at the moment, as she has an adorable baby girl keeping her busy, but when she does she is a freelance film editor and post producer, and was a civil & environmental engineer by training. She loves food, photography/film, visual arts and crafts in general, is fascinated by technology, and derives great satisfaction from making things with her hands. She wrote only about food on her blog Saffron & Blueberry until just recently and now incorporates anything that is beautiful and/or of interest to her.
Read articles by Hilda
Hilda’s Blog: Saffron & Blueberry

About Jamie - Contributor
It all started when my husband put two and two together: knock on the head at 9 years old + obsession with food = Gourmand Syndrome. That’s when I decided to create my food blog and devote myself to it full time. I finally accepted the fact that my life revolved around food.

I have been, over the years, an art gallery manager, volunteer English teacher, research assistant on 1 cookbook and 1 art book, culinary guide and interpreter, milliner and now a full-time food blogger. American of Russian Jewish descent and married to a Frenchman, we have a true multi-cultural home; between the two of us, we have worked and lived in 5 countries and we have raised our sons, Clément, 21, and Simon, 19, in 3. And this mix of cultures extends deep into our kitchen. We both love good food and wine and we both love to cook. We also love to travel and discover other cultures and other cuisines. We use our cooking to bring our own cultures into our home, share with others and teach our sons.

Besides cooking, baking, eating and writing, I love to travel, am an avid reader and love watching movies with my family. We take long walks in the country with our Boston Terrier Marty and I get back to Florida as often as possible to visit my family.
Read articles by Jamie
Jamie’s Blog: Life’s a Feast

About Manisha - Co-Administrator, Organization
Manisha is an Internet Strategist who believes in the benefits of slowing down, which is, in essence, anti-thesis to the world of instant gratification that we currently live in. Her food blog, Indian Food Rocks, is about her personal journey through life, spiced by Indian food and anecdotes. Apart from food and being online all the time, her obsessions include gazing at the Rockies, hiking and biking whenever she can, photography, knitting and crocheting, and figuring out the next change she can implement in her life-style to help save the Earth. Manisha is currently grappling with the challenges that go hand in hand with raising a moderately gifted child.
Read articles by Manisha
Manisha's blog: Indian Food Rocks

About Mansi - Co-Administrator, Marketing
I'm a fun-loving, highly-social person who loves to try and conquer challenges in life. Being a Gemini, I have the "twin-tendencies", so one day you may see me writing poetry and trying some art, while another day you may find me doing bungee-jumping or para-gliding! But thanks to a sane husband, my family, friends, and a little bit of common-sense, I have learned to balance my life. I've loved cooking since I was a kid helping my mom in the kitchen, but over time, it has grown into a passion that I nurture and enjoy catering to! I love experimenting with foods and flavors, enjoy entertaining friends, and since past few years, I've also developed a fitness-streak that makes me find ways to make food healthier. You can find my recipes and articles on my blog called Fun and Food. Besides cooking, I also enjoy travelling, adventure sports, reading, writing and singing.
Read articles by Mansi
Mansi's blog: Fun and Food

About Petra - Co-Administrator, Organization
I used to work the IT business, but now I am a freelance writer, cookbook author and novelist, living in Hamburg, Germany. I am a foodie, as reflected in my blog Foodfreak, active in the slowfood movement, and I have a passion for Asian cuisines as well as local ingredients. In 2006 I started packing bento boxes for my husband to provide him with fresh, healthy and nutritious foods, and this has turned into a passion for bentos, too. I learned that bentos are widely unknown in Germany. When I find the time, I love to paint, read books (the higher the pile the better) take photographs or stroll across one of the various markets of my hometown. My latest outdoor addiction is geocaching, which leads me to fascinating placs all over my country.
Read articles by Petra
Petra's blog: Foodfreak

About Suganya - Co-Administrator, Design & Image
I am a fun-loving, affable & broad minded individual of Indian origin, living in the US. I started cooking at a very early age and have a strong affinity for tasty and healthy food. I write a blog called Tasty Palettes, where I express myself through food & flavour that is not limited by cuisine. I believe in leading a healthy lifestyle. Naturally this consciousness extends into my day-to-day activities, food recipes and choice of ingredients as well. I constantly strive to make food healthy, by making sensible choices while cooking or baking. I also try to make healthy food interesting and appealing for everyone, using contemporary presentation / styling techniques and photography.

Being a vegetarian all my life, I often find myself in a position where I need to be very flexible and adaptive. So, one can find me experimenting on proven recipes (Indian or not) with locally available or organic ingredients. I have recently started exploring veganism not only as a means of extending my beliefs in a healthy lifestyle, but also my beliefs as an animal lover and an environmentalist.

My other interests include food styling, travel & photography. I also love to read a lot, watch movies and drink a good cup of coffee.
Read articles by Suganya
Suganya's blog: Tasty Palettes

Guest Writers to The Daily Tiffin:

Pintoo: Articles
Bee: Articles
Stephanie: Articles
Asha: Articles
Anupama: Articles

We are always looking for guest writers and bloggers for The Daily Tiffin. If you would like to be featured as a guest writer on the Daily Tiffin please contact us per email with your ideas. Looking forward to hearing from you!
Email: thedailytiffin[AT]gmail[DOT]com

The Daily Tiffin Alumni:


About Abby - Alumni
I lived in Malawi until I was 14 and grew up eating homemade food made with seasonal ingredients. Moving to the UK and encountering processed food for the first time as a teenager was a real shock. I feel very fortunate to have always eaten homemade food and have the confidence to cook. I am always keen to share how easy it can be to cook and eat healthily. As well as being a keen cook I'm also studying nutritional medicine. I live in London, UK.
Read articles by Abby
Abby's blog: eat the right stuff

About Andrea - Contributor
Andrea is an instructional designer and former teacher, now a work-at-home wife and mom to three boys. In her early adult life, she spent eight years teaching at U.S. schools in Saipan, Colombia, and Saudi Arabia and enjoyed opportunities to travel throughout the world. She fell in love with many dishes in her travels and brings that spirit to her cooking blog Andrea's Recipes, where she writes about her adventures in the kitchen and edible garden and hosts the Grow Your Own blogging event. She also gives her opinion on products for home and garden at her blog Andrea's Reviews and writes for FoodieView.com and DC Metro Moms Blog.
Read articles by Andrea
Andrea's blog: Andrea's Recipes

About Ann - Alumni
Though technically born long enough ago to be counted as part of the Baby Boomer generation I consider myself a First Generation Punk. I have three amazing children, one ex-husband, two cats and a lovely partner named Jack. I live in New York and make my living as a senior software consultant. An ongoing constant interest has been a love of reading and writing, but I think I am happiest when I am working with my hands-- which would explain why I have combined cooking and writing into my blog.
Read articles by Ann
Ann's blog: Redacted Recipes

About Amanda - Alumni
I'm a stay at home mum of two great boys, just setting up a business from home. My working life has been diverse to say the least, and includes time in the travel industry, the landscape gardening industry and before becoming a mum a few years as Training and Development Manager for a Law Firm. I never was one to follow one straight path!! My main passion is food, particularly children eating and learning about good food.
Read articles by Amanda
Amanda's blog: Little Foodies

About Biggie - Alumni
I've been living in San Francisco since 1999 (after living in Japan for nine+ years), my son is two and a half, and I'm now a stay-at-home mom since the arrival of my son (after a career in high-tech PR both in Japan and San Francisco).
Read articles by Biggie
Biggie's blog: Lunch In A Box.

About Dharm - Contributor
I'm from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and a Mechanical Engineer by profession. I've always had a passion for food, both eating and cooking. When I was younger, I used to help my Mom with the the baking while I really only started cooking once I went to University in Australia. I soon found that cooking was a great way to meet women! Now happily married and blessed with two lovely children, my cooking and baking revolves around the family. I have always loved to write and have a great interest in photography as well. So what better way to combine my love of food, writing, photography and cooking for my family than to maintain a blog!
Read articles by Dharm
Dharm's blog: Dad ~ Baker & Chef

About Dhivya - Alumni
I am among those working woman, who consider providing their family with a variety of healthy and delicious meals, as their sole responsibility. I believe in my mom's saying - "It is better to know and not use rather than not knowing at all." That has inculcated the need to learn as much as I can.
Blogging is another channel which helps me to learn more in this gastronomical world with each passing day. The more I blog, the more I learn, more I get exposed to some immensely talented people who simply inspire me to push myself harder.
I find that I have a burning necessity to involve myself in pursuits that are creative and foreign to me at the same time. So a poem then, some art work later and food writing now... the journey continues.
Read articles by Dhivya
Dhivya's blog: Chef in You

About Donna - Contributor
I'm an ex-caterer and pastry chef from Vermont that got tired of the rat race and sailed off into the sunset. That's not just a metaphor, I really did! I had my own wholesale bakery and catering business for over 15 years when I got tired and bored and said to my husband, "Let's get in the boat and sail away!" Our 4 adult children and four grandchildren were given 2 years notice that we were running away from home. I gave the inn-keeper 10 months notice to find another chef. They all thought we were nuts and would never follow through. Well, we did, and here I am, 4 years later living, cooking, baking, photographing and blogging about it all on a sailboat in RI. I do this all on a rocking, rolling boat with a 2-3 burner stove and mini oven that I affectionately call my Easy-Bake-Oven! Gone are my 30 quart mixer, 10 burner stove and my organic gardens! My plan was to eventually end up in the Bahamas sipping Pina Coladas with little umbrellas with my toes in the sand. Instead, here we are on the East coast of the USA with ice around our boat every winter. It makes for a great story though, and I wouldn't change it for anything. The location? Yeah, I would definitely go south for the winter! Read about my culinary and sailboat adventures on my blog, Spatulas, Corkscrews & Suitcases. I'm also the Baking & Desserts Feature Writer for Suite101 which keeps me on an even keel and out of trouble!
Read articles by Donna
Donna's blog: Spatulas, Corkscrews & Suitcases

About Gillian - Alumni
I'm a graphics artist/designer with a keen interest in cooking delicious, healthy, balanced meals for both my husband (of a year and a half) and I. My philosophy is that "food is fuel for life" - the more nutritious and wholesome food we prepare, pack, and eat, the more we get out of bodies - whether it's at work, school, home, or play! Of course, that doesn't mean that we don't enjoy a luscious treat now and again - my musings at Humble Pie are evidence of that!
Read articles by Gillian
Gillian's blog: Humble Pie


About Glenna - Alumni
I’m a respiratory therapist by evening, novelist and magazine article writer by day. My love of cooking came from being drafted into the kitchen at an early age by my professional cook mother and grandmother and from a first career as a hotel convention planner along with a second career as a cake decorator/caterer. Now, thankfully, rather than a career, cooking for me is a passion and an escape, that I use to keep the cobwebs cleared out of my head and the smile on my face.
Read articles by Glenna
Glenna's blog: A Fridge Full of Food.


About Helen - Alumni
I was born and raised in France 32 years ago, and moved to the US 10 years to complete a Master's in American History. I met my husband and life changed completely. I have a very strange resume as I am a pastry chef half the week and a certified personal trainer the other half. I befriended the most amazing chef at the French restaurant I was working for and when he retired I quit to follow him. I love fitness and health and got certified in various areas: nutrition, Pilates, Aerobics, ... I think I have found the way to balance the best of both world and I am a happy fish in bright waters!
Read articles by Helen
Helen's blog: Tartlette

About Joker Girl - Contributor
I'm a 24- year old software engineer from Austria who lives in Sweden and likes to play with her food. International cuisine and photography are probably the most feminine of my hobbies, which combine well in making cute lunchboxes!
Read articles by Jokergirl
Jokergirl's blog: Bento Lunches

About Kristen - Contributor
Kristen Doyle works from home as a freelance writer and a professional recruiter. The mom of three kids (ages 2, 4 and 6), the wife of a wonderful man who actually cleans up the kitchen after she cooks, and a June Cleaver wanna be, Kristen discovered her fervor for cooking shortly after she began staying home with her children. With a passion for writing, a flare for entertaining, and a crazy busy schedule, Kristen understands the importance of family meal time, but also recognizes the need for meals to be quick, easy and healthy. Kristen shares, "It is my goal to help those people who are too intimidated to start cooking or baking to actually get into the kitchen to take that first step. All it takes is a little bit of encouragement and some practice, and before you know it homemade meals will be a regular thing at your household. Trust me... if I can do it, and I started out thinking Hamburger Helper was considered homemade, you can do it!" Kristen's culinary writing work can be found in various places, but regularly on her blog Dine and Dish, Her Life Magazine, The Well Fed Network, Blogged In and now The Daily Tiffin.
Read articles by Kristen
Kristen's blog: Dine and Dish



About Lydia - Alumni
I write the lively blog The Perfect Pantry and am a professional food writer. I am a contributing editor of Rhode Island Monthly magazine, where I write a monthly column called Local Flavor. Author of one cookbook -- South End Cooks: Recipes from a Boston Neighborhood -- I currently teach cooking classes at Rhode Island School of Design, a world-famous art college in Providence, Rhode Island (because artists make great cooks!), and also teach classes for adults and children in my log house kitchen. A long-time hunger relief activist, I am the founder of Drop In & Decorate Cookies for Donation, and a co-founder of Will Paint For Food, which works to help end hunger through education, outreach and food distribution. Oh -- and I am a grandmother of 4!
Read articles by Lydia
Lydia's blog: The Perfect Pantry

About Mike - Contributor
I am a software engineer, married and living in Florida with two very excitable dogs. Despite my self-proclaimed distaste for writing when I was in school, I now find myself writing as a hobby on a fairly regular basis when chronicling my other newfound hobby (cooking and food photography) over at Mike's Table.
Read articles by Mike
Mike's blog: Mike's Table


About Nandita - Alumni
I'm a medical doctor but I pursue my passion for writing. I write on health and food for several publications including Men's Health - India and Complete Wellbeing. Life with my husband in Mumbai is fast paced. Striving to maintain a balance between work and pleasure, fast food and healthy home cooked food, heavy metal and the blues, that is I guess is the fun of life.
Read articles by Nandita
Nandita's blog: Saffron Trail.

About Nupur - Alumni
I am an Indian currently living in St. Louis, Missouri, USA with my wonderful spouse and our handsome pooch. I write a regular blog at One Hot Stove, exploring my love for regional Indian cuisine and traveling the world, one recipe at a time. For me, blogging is a wonderful way to connect with people who appreciate good home cooking, and a learning experience on a daily basis.
Read articles by Nupur
Nupur's blog: One Hot Stove

About Peter- Contributor
Greek-Canadian living in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, passionate about Greek and other delicious cuisines. Enjoy travel, the company of friends and family and I hope to travel the world one day and retire by the beach in Greece.
Read articles by Peter
Peter's blog: Kalofagas

About Sabrina - Alumni
I am the editor at YumSugar.com and enjoy keeping my readers up to date on the latest food trends, news and more. I pride myself on the fact that I has traveled and eaten meals in more than 15 countries. After graduating UC Santa Cruz with a degree in Fine Art/Photography and Computer Science, I began a daily food blog called Pocketpig.com featuring drawings and discussions of every meal I ate. During this time, I lived in Cambridge, England and learned to appreciate the finer points of British cuisine. I also once created a 3ft x 4ft self portrait made entirely out of cake!
Read articles by Sabrina
Sabrina's blog: YumSugar.com

About Shaheen - Alumni
I am a part time working and full time mom to a 6 yr old son. He started public school now and packing his lunch is what led me to the Daily Tiffin. I work as an architect in New Jersey, now part time so rest of the time is being devoted to my wonderful family. I love cooking, find it relaxing and creative most of the time. Other interests are mostly books and movies now. .
Read articles by Shaheen
Shaheen's blog: Malabar Spices

About Susi - Alumni
I am the editor of the website FitSugar that I write with Denise Stirk and Jenny Sugar. After teaching Pilates in the San Francisco Bay Area for 7 years, I decided it was time to write about fitness and health in hopes of changing the world or at least reaching a broader audience. My two little girls keep me quite active and I love to run (I just started recently and I am hooked), practice yoga, and bake sweet treats. I am more of a baker than a cook.
Read articles by Susi
Susi's blog: FitSugar

7 comments:

Hurrah! The fun begins here...and I really like this clean white theme Meeta!

Unknown said...
November 17, 2006 at 3:10:00 AM GMT+1  

"You'll also find scrumptious recipes here that you can add to your lunches for the kids or for the hubby!
What bout lunches for the poor wife? Poor thing, cant hubbies pack lunches for the wife! :) Jokes apart thou, I think your blog is wonderful and your style of writing is so warm, frdly and inclusive! Thanks for the wonderful recipes and your lovely family tales :) - Chandralekha

Anonymous said...
November 17, 2006 at 5:56:00 PM GMT+1  

That's great. Can't wait to see what the new A team has to offer.

Anonymous said...
November 18, 2006 at 3:06:00 AM GMT+1  

Sounds like a great way to expand, I'll be sure to keep checking in regularly!

Scribbit said...
November 18, 2006 at 8:25:00 AM GMT+1  

Hi. logging in from the holiday just to see how the DT is going. I think I got what I wanted to write abt..wonderful start!!!

Anonymous said...
November 20, 2006 at 3:14:00 AM GMT+1  

Here's to some nice lunches for mothers, as well as for fathers and children! I'd love to do some posts on the sorts of things I sometimes get from the take-out places near my office. In fact, that reminds me: it's lunchtime here in San Francisco and I need to go out and get something healthy and tasty to get me through the rest of the day.

Anonymous said...
November 20, 2006 at 9:05:00 PM GMT+1  

Hi there

I have just spent aagggeess looking on the internet for information on how to reduce recipe sizes and found complicated looking stuff, so I would like to say thanks for writing something easy to understand !!!

sarahb-22 said...
September 7, 2008 at 12:25:00 AM GMT+2  

Post a Comment