Egg Salad and Frankfurter

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Posted by Meeta K. Wolff

We got a small basket full of eggs from one of our neighbors who has his own chickens. In return I had to lend a sympathetic ear and hear about all the new regulations that are being applied for bird breeders. Anyway I did not mind as the eggs are 100% from happy hens and taste really good.

Morning Snack: I used some of the eggs to make a quick egg salad. Just use a few hard boiled eggs, onions, peas, mushrooms, herbs, a bit of mayonnaise (low-fat) and some yoghurt or quark. On two slices of sunflower seed toast bread (did not get to the bakery in time!) I spread some margarin and some of the egg salad. Turkey frankfurters is something that normally goes against the German food protocol, but I find they not only taste better than the usual pork ones, they are also low on fat. A few sweet cherry tomatoes and a container full of sweet melon to finish.

Afternoon Snack: A milk bread alongside sliced apples and organic white grapes and an organic almond bar. As these bars come in a double pack I took one out of the packet.

Adult Variation: I recommend a nice dark roll with some type of seeds (sunflower, pumpkin etc.) for the egg salad. You can always add a few lettuce leaves and if you are not a fan of frankfurters you could make yourself a ground chicken patty or just add a nice slice of good ham to the roll. A tomato salad is refreshing. Simply cut up the cherry tomatoes in half, add a good shot of olive oil and balsamic vinegar a few chopped red onions and some basel. By lunch time I am sure the tomatoes have soaked up the dressing and it should taste great. Instead of the milk bread you could use a slice of any plain dry cake. Either something you bake yourself or what you buy in the store/bakery. A cup of espresso with it and you are "zinged" for the afternoon!

5 comments:

This looks like a fabulous lunch! I love your idea of recording what you packed for lunch...

What is quark? Is it a local ingredient?

Thanks for coming by the spiceisright earlier!

GourmayMasala said...
March 21, 2006 at 6:00:00 PM GMT+1  

Hi GM,

Nice of you to stop by!
Quark is something really great a cross between yoghurt and sour cream (which you can use as a substitute. It really is very versatile and can be used savory (with herbs, onions etc.) or sweet with fruit. I use it quite often in Soeren's lunch boxes and have often linked it to wiki. I guess I should do it in every post! As I get deeper into blogging I find so many nice and interesting blogs and of course am always proud to see fellow indians blogging too.

Hope to see you here often!

Meeta K. Wolff said...
March 21, 2006 at 8:17:00 PM GMT+1  

Hi came here thru GM. I find this blog very creative. Its a great idea to post lunch ideas. And you take fab photos too :-) I am looking fwd to learning more about German food

Ashwini said...
March 22, 2006 at 4:22:00 AM GMT+1  

Hi Ashwini,

Thankx for coming over and for the motivation. As for the photos, I recently started to take pictures of food - combining my 2 passions! I used to concentrate on scenery and constructions before but joined a group in "Flickr" that motivated me to try something new. If you are interested you can check out a few of my foodography pics here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/20458004@N00/
Would love your comments on the pics!
Meeta

Meeta K. Wolff said...
March 22, 2006 at 7:40:00 AM GMT+1  

Cool guestbook, interesting information... Keep it UP
»

Anonymous said...
August 27, 2006 at 10:43:00 PM GMT+2  

Post a Comment