Power Potato Cakes & Tuc Sandwiches

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Posted by Meeta K. Wolff

I feel pretty awful today. I did not sleep well last night as I had some bad stomach cramps, which are still here today. I am trying to relax my cramps by drinking some fennel and anis tea with honey. I also took my mum's remedy for everything "Pudin Haara" a concentrated liquid made from green mint. It is Mint isn't it? If any of my fellow Indians are reading this please do correct me.

Nonetheless, the lunch boxes are due today like everyday. I found todays lunch boxes rather neat, if I may say so myself.

By the way folks, this will be my last picture with my HandyCam (I hope) I am expecting my new camera today ... yooohoo!

Morning Snack: I had made these potato cakes yesterday evening (recipe to be presented on What's For Lunch Honey? soon). They are full of power as the ingredients are not only potatoes but carrots, sesame seeds and flax seeds. I make a large batch of these and freeze them because you can eat them with almost anything. For Soeri, I put a slice of Exquisa cream cheese slice in between two such cakes. Of course, you can use any other soft cheese you have available. A few cucumber sticks go quite well with this. The yoghurt is vanilla flavoured and I added some vanilla cereal squares to sprinkle onto the yoghurt.

Afternoon Snack: Every one knows TUC crackers right? I remember them when I was growing up. I used to spread them with cream cheese and nibble these in front of the TV. That is exactly what I did for Soeri. I spread a bit of herb cream cheese in between two TUC crackers. He also got a handful of dried cranberries and some juicy grapes. I am not sure if you can see it but Tom added a little jelly baby in the shape of a monkey.

Adult Variation: As I mentioned above, these potato cakes are nice and versatile so when you do make these do make a big batch too. You can eat them similarly to how I have presented it here, using any cheese you like. You can also fill them like a real sandwich adding your filling of choice. Or make yourself a thermos full of chili con carne and eat these potato cakes along with it. Instead of cereal squares you can use some granola to sprinkel on the yoghurt.
Are you a TUC cracker fan too? Well take a few with a small container of cream cheese along with you. Spread a helping of the cream cheese on the crackers and lay back and just enjoy. You can also use cubed Gouda cheese. How about this? On a toothpick put one of those grapes and then a cube of cheese. This not only looks great but with the crackers tastes fantastic.

3 comments:

Hi Meeta,
I have to say I've just started looking at your Daily Tiffin blog and love it! You seem to have a real knack for creating healthy, portion-appropriate meals for your child that are also fun to eat! I used to work at a school (both middle and high school) and you would not believe some of the garbage these kids were being fed - all in order to "fit in" and "be cool" is usually the excuses I got when I asked about their meals. It was so sad to me b/c they are getting such a poor start early on in their lives. So, to see posts like this one is always uplifting and promising - nice job!

Oh - not sure about the mint mixture, but I imagine that anything with mint would help, since it has soothing properties. Hope you feel better. And congrats on getting your new camera!

Anonymous said...
April 26, 2006 at 6:37:00 PM GMT+2  

Yup, Pudin Haara is mint (green) ! It is one potent medicine for any usual digestive problem. Hope you are feeling better.

And, I feel your excitement for your new camera.

GourmayMasala said...
April 26, 2006 at 6:53:00 PM GMT+2  

Hi Meeta
I didnt know you were Indian :)
I've been reading your blog for a while, its addictive!
Pudin Hara is a herbal medicine made with mint and a number of other herbs.
Its potent and works amazingly well for any digestive upsets!!

Karlz + Ma said...
April 28, 2006 at 1:41:00 PM GMT+2  

Post a Comment