Egg & Beef a la Pret and a Nussecke

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Posted by Meeta K. Wolff

Every now and then I travel to London on business. It is such an invigorating and pulsating city and I enjoy spending my free (always little to spare) time taking in all the sights and sounds London offers.

There is one other reason I like to visit London - Pret A Manger (Pret). The sandwiches taste great and the whole concept behind it is exceptional. Everything is made daily, from natural ingredients and at the end of the day the leftovers go to the homeless.

A while back I had the opportunity to meet one of the people behind the scenes pulling one or two strings. We chatted for a long time and I mentioned that it would be "awesome" (he found that word "so typical American") if we could get some of the recipes to be able to make these great sandwiches at home. Well, on their website they now have a "Pret DIY" section where a few of the recipes are available.

Morning Snack: I took the Pret All Day Breakfast as an inspiration and made it with my own variations. A nice and just a tad bit spicey merguez, which I cut up in slices and fried it in a pan. Beat up an egg and added it to the pan, scrambling it together with the merquez. On a sunflower seed toast spread cream cheese. When you take the egg/merguez out of the pan allow to cool and then add a teaspoon of Miracle Whip. Spread this on the toast and press gently together. Not exactly the real Pret All Day Breakfast but you can see the similarities. I also added a few cucumber slices to crunch along with the sandwiches. The refreshing chocolate yoghurt has a few of the cereal squares and dried cranberries to sprinkle on top.

Afternoon Snack: A nussecke is pastry made from shortcrust dough and spread with a variety of nuts and honey and one side is covered in chocolate. It really is so delicious that both me and Soeren can never resist going past our bakery without getting some of these. With this I cut up some juicy Pink Lady apples and added a few organic grapes.

Adult Variation: You could do the Pret All Day Breakfast (you'll find how here). It really is a huge thing and quite filling. So, I think the yoghurt makes a light dessert to this.
I am not sure if everyone will be able to find the "nussecke" but you can also take a slice of the Cranberry Mandarin Loaf. As this already contains fruit you can treat yourself to a nice espresso

0 comments:

Post a Comment