Herb bread and granola bits

Monday, July 10, 2006

Posted by Meeta K. Wolff


How was the weekend? For us we had a pretty good one. We were at a wedding, met up with some old friends and went on a picnic to a lake. Great time!

Besides that Italy won the Soccer championships. Germany won their match for 3rd place. Not bad for a weekend!

I have a question for you all and the advice would help! What do you do when your kid says he/she does not want to go to school/pre-school? Ok I understand school is a bit different because of the learning/projects/tests etc. But nursery, kindergarten etc. is different.

Do you say "OK for one day - I can relate to that as sometimes I too do not fancy going to work!" Or are do you say "Nothing doing ... you're going and that's final!"

I opted for the first variant today! Soeren for the first time since two and half years said he just did not fancy going to KIGA. It surprised us to hear that because it was not just out of a mood. We tried to ask him why, but at the moment he was in no mood to discuss it. So I said "OK ... fine, but mum has to work all day and daddy is at the university all day. No one has any time to play with you. All the neighbors kids are at school etc. So you'll have to keep yourself busy." He agreed.

As I write this up though he seems to be getting the first bouts of "hey playing alone all day ain't so hot" feeling! Let's see how it goes.

I had made the lunch box before we decided that he would stay at home so I thought I'd share it with you anyway.

A delicious herb bread (yes it will be in the review!) spread with cream cheese. A wiener sausage with a few cherry tomatoes. Luscious, sweet grapes and a vanilla yoghurt with crunchy honey flavored granola bits to top off. Treat today a creamy almond bar.

Adult Variation: I'd like to turn the table around this week. Why don't you tell me how you would modify the lunch box for yourself. It would interest me how you make the variation. So, all this week I am looking for your variations to Soeren's lunchbox. I really look forward to your responses!

5 comments:

Hmm good challenge, Meeta! I think the only thing I would change would be to add something else to the bread/cream cheese. Maybe chives or sundried tomatoes or walnuts. Otherwise it looks excellent!

And as for staying home from school, I don't have kids so I don't know what *I'd* do, but my mom used to generally let me stay home if I needed a break (not too often, of course) but she'd put me to work haha! So I knew if I stayed home when I wasn't sick I would have to do laundry or polish furniture or something. Soeren's probably a little small for too much of that, though.

Suelily said...
July 10, 2006 at 1:13:00 PM GMT+2  

Mmm! Wow, I can't believe this is the first time that I'm checking this blog of yours out!! We don't have kids, but I would eat anything in these adorable lunches any time! I would also add some fresh tomato and basil to the sandwich, maybe a bit of prociutto.
An

Anyhow, hopefully your son has gotten back in the mood for school. I guess we all definitely have our "off" days. ;)

Keep up the great work with the blogs!

chocokat0718 said...
July 10, 2006 at 1:40:00 PM GMT+2  

when i got to be about 7 years old, i started having an aversion to school. mostly nerves, but i would literally get sick every single morning. i did this for a few years, and every day, my parents would put me on the bus (they knew once i got there i'd be fine). i eventually got over it, and i guess i turned out okay, since i finished school and just graduated college this past may! if it's just a one day thing, let him have a day off. but if it turns into something he does every day, tell him tough luck. it'll work itself out.

herb bread -- yummmmm! for me, i would omit the sausage and tomatoes. and add some turkey on the sandwich!

have a nice day!


jessica

Anonymous said...
July 10, 2006 at 4:25:00 PM GMT+2  

Meeta, this is a passing phase. My kids(5 yrs) do this every day. They hate it when I put their clothes out or when they see me preparing for next day's lunch. I keep telling them that learning is fun and mom would pick them up and we'd have loads of fun after that.

Krithika said...
July 10, 2006 at 8:35:00 PM GMT+2  

Ladies, Thanks for your feedback. Those lunchbox ideas are looking good. Not bad!

Meeta K. Wolff said...
July 11, 2006 at 7:44:00 AM GMT+2  

Post a Comment