Blueberries, Chinois & a Roll

Friday, July 21, 2006

Posted by Meeta K. Wolff


WOW! It was so hot yesterday, my thermometer for outside was reading 40°Celsius!! In actual fact it was just 37°! According to the meteorologists it's supposed to cool down today ... to an amazing 33°! OK I know I lived in Kuwait, Qatar and Dubai but hey we were spoilt there and had air conditioning everywhere we went. It's tough when one is not equipped for such hot temperatures. I am not really complaining. I think I can still take the heat much better than some of my European friends. Now, they really are collapsing in this heat.

We cooled down yesterday at the pool. It really was great! Just hanging out with a few of your girlfriends and the kids splashing and playing about. The nicest thing was I was really able to enjoy it ... I mean with head too. The last few weeks I have been working on a documentation and pushing time to meet the deadline. I finished it today and my deadline is on the 25th! So, after my final touch ups etc. I think I can relax and take it easy.

We are off to the grandparents this weekend. Tom's dad turns 60 and is having a party. We've got Soeren to learn a little poem by heart (in German) and he really has it down to the last word. The only thing that will get in the way is his shyness ... believe me even if it does not sound like he is a shy boy, when he has to do these things, his finger goes into his mouth and he is overcome by a great shyness.

Today's has a pretty great multi-grain roll, spread with this new herb flavored cream cheese I have tried out this week. A few mini salami sausages and cherry tomatoes and great healthy blueberries. More on blueberries and a great treat here. With that half a nectarine. A lovely soft french chinois goes with the last box of the week.

Adult Variation:
I think I would like to suggest a few slices of pastrami on that roll today. Add a bit of mustard - dijon a few caramelized onions and voila! A little mozzarella with the tomatoes, a dash of olive oil and balsamic vinegar makes a great salad. The rest stays.
Folks, I hope you all have a great weekend and if it gets too hot here's a little tip for you. Fill some ice cold mineral water in one of these spray bottles and take it with you. When it gets sticky and hot spray a little dose across your face, especially the temples, and neck. A nice refresher for in between.

4 comments:

regarding the heat, YUCK! it's been over 100 degrees F for us every day this week. heat advisories left and right! but you have my uptmost sympathies for bearing the heat without A/C. you guys are troopers!!!

it's funny that your husband's dad turned 60 this weekend, because my own dad turned 60 this week!

that roll looks delicious. is chinois just a raisin bread/bun thing? that looks like what we call brioche here, (i was confused yesterday because what you referred to as brioche was flat bread!) but it can't really see the bottom or the whole shape of it.

hope you guys are well! keep beating the heat.


jessica

Anonymous said...
July 21, 2006 at 3:45:00 PM GMT+2  

When I see your daily tiffin daily I m hungry even if I had my food:) Such nice ideas , Though I am not in for cold meats except turkey in subway you sem to have knowledge about a spectrum of spreads and breads. I m sooo done with the whole grain breads, as I told u tht day I am not allowed ot buy anything but the whole grain hehehehhe.....Can u send daily tiffin here :) hhehehe....I do virtualy bringe on ur boxes :)

Neelu said...
July 22, 2006 at 1:02:00 AM GMT+2  

hey IS that your photo ?

Neelu said...
July 22, 2006 at 1:03:00 AM GMT+2  

Hi Jessica,

Chinois is like made from a yeast dough and it has a cream filling and a few raisins thrown in. It is a french type of sweet thing that you'd get in the cafes there. Yesterday, the brioche was slices from a larger loaf that I buy from the bakery.

Did you party on your dad's 60th. We did over the weekend and it was fun!

neelu,
yes that is me!!

Meeta K. Wolff said...
July 24, 2006 at 4:31:00 PM GMT+2  

Post a Comment