Egg Salad, raisin bun, kiwi and cranberries

Friday, July 07, 2006

Posted by Meeta K. Wolff


We're hoping for rain today! To finally cool off the high temperatures we have been having. I kind of wonder why the heat here bothers me sometimes. Not so much but I do feel uncomfortable with it. I mean I spent a large part of my life in countries like Kuwait, Qatar and Dubai and there the heat and the temperatures are a lot more drastic then in Europe. The only way to explain it, would be that in those countries the difference in temperatures is not so drastic throughout the year. In winter it gets to 20 ° C and in the summer well it is in the 40's ° C. Here in winter we go as low as -10/15° C and the last couple of weeks we had 30° - 35° C! Now that is a huge difference.

Anyway, we still are the summer type of family and Soeren is happy to have any excuse to peel his clothes off. Yesterday, I was putting away the groceries, he went out into the backyard and I could hear him talking with his buddy Julius. When I came out they were both butt naked running about the garden with the watering can!!

Wish it was that easy for us to cool off!

Today we are doing egg salad again. Every time I get a large amount of eggs from our friendly farmer I try and use a few up by making egg salad. It's quick and easy and we enjoy it on our sandwiches. The bread is one that is a basic at our home. A normal rye bread fresh and light. Carrots go along with it for the crunch. Lovely yellow kiwis and a handful of dried cranberries for the fruity section of the day. The huge raisin bread is spread with butter and honey.

Adult Variation:Egg salad is a great spread and I'd like to recommend to add a couple slices roast beef slices to the egg salad sandwich. Top it off with a few pickled gurkins and this is one tasty sandwich. I love the raisin bread too - I normally don't spread it with anything just like dipping it into my cafe au lait. Maybe you'd like to give that a try too.

So, wish you all a fantastic Friday and a great weekend. We plan to go to a wedding party, a cake and coffee party and a picnic this weekend. See you on the other side!

5 comments:

When you pack cut-up fruits to KIGA how do you prevent it from turning brown ?

Krithika said...
July 7, 2006 at 2:54:00 PM GMT+2  

Hi Krithika,

Normally, when I cut apples and such fruit I normally druzzle a bit of orange juice on them. Or I just tightly wrap them in some cling film. The kiwi here though was left pure as it does not get brown.

I don't like to use lemon juice for the drizzle as I find it a little too harsh on the taste buds of a child. Besides apples are supposed to taste of apples and not lemons!

Meeta K. Wolff said...
July 7, 2006 at 3:58:00 PM GMT+2  

i had to do a conversion on my computer to see how hot 35 degrees is in F. and it was a lot hotter than i assumed it would be! it's been around that temperature here, going up to around 100 degrees F (which i think is about 38 degrees C?). but your cold temperatures are absolutely INSANE! i am fairly cold natured and i will wear long pants and a jacket even when it is 70 F (21.1 C) outside. how on earth do you brave that cold? i am moving to new jersey soon, and that will be enough to drive me into hibernation!

that raisin muffin looks delicious! all of your breads look so great.

sorry for such a long comment!


jessica

PS-do the letters in KIGA stand for anything or is it a german word or something else?

Anonymous said...
July 7, 2006 at 4:54:00 PM GMT+2  

That raisin bread looks absolutely beautiful!!!!

As for the cooling down. Who says you can't strip down and chase each other with watering cans??? Course I would imagine you'd be getting odd looks from your neighbors. :) We like to have water ballon fights.

I have to admit, I don't like egg salad. I do like deviled egg salad (make it like you were going to make deviled eggs, but chop up the whites into the mixture instead of filling them), and the idea of roast beef with it sounds quite lovely! Thank you for that idea.

JJ (Lady Di) said...
July 8, 2006 at 10:07:00 PM GMT+2  

Jessica,
Well we normally wear layers of clothes in the winter. But that does not stop us from having fun out in the snow. No ned for hibernation. YouÄll just have to make sure you have warm underwear ;-)) And hey! make your comments as long or as short as you want. That's what the box is for. Besides I love long comments, it's the only way to get closer to you all!

Lady Di, are you contacting me from the other side LOL! The balloon fights sounds like a great idea. MAybe we can do that next weekend! You know something I do not think I would get any looks from my neighbors even if I stripped down! The Germans have a very open relationship to their bodies. If you know what I mean!
Glad you liked the idea with the roast beef. This week I am looking for YOUR ideas!

Meeta K. Wolff said...
July 10, 2006 at 9:21:00 AM GMT+2  

Post a Comment