Melon & Chicken Salad

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Posted by Meeta K. Wolff


The days seem to rush by so fast and the week is so busy lately. Soeren has been invited to two birthday parties and he so excited about the whole thing. These are his first official birthday parties. You know the ones I mean ... with actual birthday invite cards from the kid's mums and the ones that make you feel like you are part of the "in" group! When I picked him up from the KIGA he came rushing to me and whispered,

"I have been invited to two birthday parties mum!"
"WOW!" I exclaimed
"Shhhh! Not so loud .... they'll think this is my first one. That's not cool!"

I swear he is not even four years old (in August) so two questions:
1. How does he know what is cool and what is not?
2. Does it matter at almost four to be cool?

I really wanted to crack up but hey ... that's not cool, right!

Today's lunchbox is filled with some great stuff! The Finnish bread is packed with a mediterranean chicken salad. Carrots to crunch and juicy honey melon. The "Wasa" crisp bread is spread with yummy Nutella. Today's treat yoghurt muesli pops.

Adult Variation:
The chicken salad is really a breeze to make. Cut up some leftover grilled chicken breasts or if you have a rotisserie near you buy some there. Dice it up. Add some sour cream mediterranean tomato pasta sauce (just a few spoonfuls) and cream cheese. Mix well. Cut up some onion, bell peppers and any other vegies you like. Add this to the chicken and mix. You can use this to fill anything you like - wraps, rolls etc. The Wasa crispbread with the Nutella is completely delicious and I too can't resist this snack. So, make yourself a few too. Hope you enjoy your lunch!

7 comments:

oh my gosh, he is TOO CUTE!!

the wasa bread with nutella looks soooo good. but then again, i'd probably eat anything spread with nutella.

do you have happy hippo candies (when i ate one, i considered it more of a wafer cookie type thing, rather than candy, but who knows the proper terminology) in germany? my friend sent some to me from england. i'm sure you've had one before, but if not, mmmmm go find some!


jessica

Anonymous said...
June 28, 2006 at 6:15:00 PM GMT+2  

Hi Jessica,

Yes I do know what Happy Hippo is and we do like them too ... although I do not buy them so often. They are available in the cool area of the supermarket and all the Kinder Chocolate stuff taste great. I hope you check back later this week Jessica, I might have a little surprise for you!

Meeta K. Wolff said...
June 28, 2006 at 7:34:00 PM GMT+2  

Yum! What a delicous looking lunch! I found that there's a German bakery here in the DC area so I'm running there for the first time today! All of your wonderful bread photos have made me so longing for good German bread!!

Anonymous said...
June 28, 2006 at 9:03:00 PM GMT+2  

hi
meeta
you know i love all types of bread but there is not much variety available in india
whats this WASA bread it looks different what is it made up of?
and how does the finnish bread look like whole
one day can you make a post of all the breads that you use ie photograph them whole for us to see ie those who do not get to see them but will like to eat them.
when do you plan your tiffin?

Mahek said...
June 29, 2006 at 7:56:00 AM GMT+2  

HN, Fantastic, I really hope you find some great bread there. Once you try some of the German bread you will not want to go back to the usual stuff. I had that problem on vacation in the US. In SF my aunt has a friends who have a bakery and they baked lovely German type bread too so there both Soeren and me were really happy. Furthermore, eating this type of read works wonders on your digestive system ;-)

Mahek, yes actually I was thinking of doing the same. It will take some time though: I will have to take pictures of the bread and write a little something about them, but I hope I will be able to put up a post about this soon!

Meeta K. Wolff said...
June 29, 2006 at 8:54:00 AM GMT+2  

Opps sorry, I forgot to mention what WASA is. Wasa is a brand name of a swedish type bread. Actually it is more of a wafer type thing. Instead of being soft and spongy like bread it is crispy. You get this in a huge variety (with sunflower seeds, oats, flax etc.) and is really healthy. Soeren eats these during the day as snacks (instead of potato chips!!) With Nutella or honey it becomes a treat!

Meeta K. Wolff said...
June 29, 2006 at 8:57:00 AM GMT+2  

I love Happy Hippos! I have a box of them in my fridge right now.

Now I'm going to do a Google search to see if I can find a German bakery in NYC...

Anonymous said...
June 30, 2006 at 3:11:00 AM GMT+2  

Post a Comment