Cheese with Sunflower seeds and Nutella!

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Posted by Meeta K. Wolff

Hectic, hectic! Just a little over a week to go before we leave on our vacation to the US and I think I am breaking into a panic. Besides, the usual chores and work I need to get a few pressies for family in the US! I kinda dislike this act. No, I love getting my loved ones gifts and the more the better but those in the US get everything! So, what does one get cousins, brothers, aunts, uncles etc. from Germany. Souvenirs? They are what I call "dust catchers" and remain in some back shelf corner! No! Stuff to wear? In the US clothing is cheaper than here in Europe and they get the finest there too.

I think I am going to make a collage of photos from Soeren and get those developed a few times for the entire gang. I also bought 2 bags full of delish European chocolates as the chocs available in US cannot in actual fact be called chocolate!! What do you think are those good gifts?

Morning Snack: I love "Bonbel's" new cheese. It is light and buttery and has sunflower seeds in each slice. So, I packed a dark bread, baked with the goodness of flax seeds, sesame seeds and sunflower seeds, with a nice large slice of this soft cheese. I cut up some juicy yellow bell pepper sticks and a portion of natural yoghurt with chocolate chips.

Afternoon Snack: "Nutella for everyone" ... I have yet to meet someone who is not keen on this stuff. We love this stuff as well and even though we try to go easy on this chocolaty, nutty spread, we can't resist pigging out on it every now and then.
I spread some on two thin plain wafer type crispy bread. To balance that out I added a large bunch of juicy grapes.

Adult Variation:The simplicity of a nice cheese sandwich is often taken for granted. Somehow on dark breads and rolls the cheese tastes even better. So pack a dark roll with your favorite cheeses. Use two or three sorts. Mozzarella, Cheddar and Emmentaler go well. If you have a few sweet gurkin pickles then add a couple of these. Those in the UK will know the lovely "Branston Pickles" - a nice helping of this is the best thing that can happen to a cheese sandwich!
Keep the rest as it is - like I said - i have yet to meet someone who does not like Nutella!

2 comments:

Meeta, chocolate from Germany is one of the best possible gifts you can bring people in the US! Kinder Eggs especially are fun, and hard to find in the US. I had just a few euros left at the end of my first vacation to Europe, and spent it on chocolate in the airport, and as I took a bite on the plane I realized it was the best chocolate I'd ever had. It was a sad moment, but I didn't repeat the mistake on my next trip!

Suelily said...
May 4, 2006 at 2:11:00 PM GMT+2  

Suelily,

Thanks for the tip. I already bought a whole bag load of chocs ;-).

I remember the awful Hersey bars yuckky... since living in Europe one gets spoilt for choice - for example right now I am munching on my fave 71% milk choc with almonds and chili!!

Meeta K. Wolff said...
May 4, 2006 at 9:26:00 PM GMT+2  

Post a Comment