Italian Sandwich Filling & Honey Cake

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Posted by Meeta K. Wolff

Still reviewing cameras after mine got stolen in London (read the story here). It really is the weirdest feeling taking pictures with the Handycam, but I am glad to have it so I can continue my posts.

I went to the supermarket yesterday and bought the whole store out! Now everything is filled back to the rims and I am a happy mum!

Morning Snack: I made an Italian sandwich spread. Just playing around with a few ingredients and testing some different tastes. The reason I called it Italian is because I used some Italian mortadella ... oh and some olive oil.

Mortadella, chopped up. Peas, carrots, corn, pickled gurkens, white beetroot and red pickled bell peppers all cut up (where necessary). Mix this in a bowl with the mortadella, add a shot of the olive oil. Natural quark or yoghurt and a tablespoon of low-fat mayo. Mix well and cool.

I used this to fill a bier brötchen, a beer roll (see here). Crunchy cucumber batons are really refreshing and Soeri always enjoys them. With this a nice natural yoghurt with small chocolate biscuit balls. He saw me adding the yoghurt this morning and wanted straight away to taste "Mummy, let me try if you added enough of those biscuit balls. It has to be perfect for your blog!" This from a 3 year old!

Afternoon Snack: I bought this organic spongy honey cake yesterday and it tastes really fantastic. We had tried some sometime 2 weeks ago at Soeren' music school. A mum had bought this along and it was spread lightly with butter and covered with another slice of the cake. Soeren seemed to take a real liking to it, which surprised me. It tastes of honey but also a bit of ginger and cinnamon. Soeren is not such a ginger fan and I normally use small doses when I cook so that he does not discover the taste and strike out on me! This cake, however, seemed to have made the eat all you can list.
I decided to add this just the way he liked it at the music school. Lightly spread with butter and covered with another slice. I also added a few cashew nuts and today's fruit container has a yellow plum and half an apple.

Adult Variation: I know the Bier Brötchen is not available everywhere in the world. So, you can substitute a ciabatta roll here. It is an italian spread after all. For us adults I recommend always adding a few lettuce leaves. Argula, rock or a lollo mix are great and crunchy. Instead of just cutting up the cucumbers you can make a nice cucumber salad. Simple slice up the cucumbers finely and salt these so that the liquid comes out of them. Drain all access fluids and chop up an onion. Mix this with a yoghurt salad dressing and take a few croutons on the side. I want to make a honey cake like this on my own soon. When I do I will definitely pass on the recipe. In the meantime check out your bakeries and supermarkets for something similar. I think this will taste fantastic with a nice cup of green tea. You can certainly use any other dry cake in the meantime!

2 comments:

Meeta,

Now that I've finally figured out what 'quark' is (in non-physics terms:)) hope you don't mind me asking what mortadella is?

Is it some regional reference to mozarella?

GourmayMasala said...
April 19, 2006 at 8:56:00 PM GMT+2  

Hi GM,

;-) Quark is really versatile and I know if I ever leave Germany I will miss it like crazy.
Mortadella is a cold cut from Italy. In the US it is known also as balogna. I get the type without the fatty lard bits in it and sometimes with mushrooms or pistacios. For Soeren I often get special type fortified with calcium and vitamins and a funny bear face :-)

Meeta K. Wolff said...
April 20, 2006 at 12:24:00 PM GMT+2  

Post a Comment