Back to KIGA!

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Posted by Meeta K. Wolff

Easter break is over and it's back to KIGA and packing lunch boxes. Tom and I had a great time in LONDON (yes some of you got it right and a postcard from the pulsating city is on it's way!). I have quite a bit to report so tune in to The Family Buzz (my personal blog) later tonight. I was a little handicapped (and still am) so don't expect too many photos. That's right my beautiful Sony DSC F 717 got stolen!!

The pictures you see here are taken with my Sony Handycam, so please forgive the quality. But I cannot leave you all and the show must go on, right folks?

Since our refrigerator and pantry was a huge empty gapping hole I pretty much scavengered what I had left. Here in Germany stores and supermarkets were all closed during Easter break and if you did not shop on Thursday you were left with rests like I was until today. Being in London over the break and Soeri at his grandparents I did not feel the need to buy anything, as it would not be fresh when we got back.

Morning Snack:I think I managed quite well. I had made a few vegetable/beef mince frikadellen (that's German for a flat meatball or hamburger) before we left and froze these. They are filled with finely chopped carrots, broccoli and cauliflower and taste amazing hot or cold. On toasted Finnish bread I spread a thick layer of herb cream cheese. On the side a few carrots sticks and half a juicy papaya.

Afternoon Snack: A soft french chocolate croissant baked in the oven. A fresh juicy tangerine and a cool passion fruit and peach yogurt! Not bad eh?

Adult Variation: I would suggest that you fill the Finnish bread or a dark bread roll with the hamburger, add a fresh leaf of lettuce and a few slices of chopped tomatoes, pickled gurken and spread some dijon mustard for a tangy taste. The papaya is just perfect as a light fruit dessert. As I always say, kick back and enjoy the afternoon snack. When the weather allows go out into a park and with the chocolate croissant get yourself a frothy latte. This little break will give the right kick to go that extra mile sometimes needed.

2 comments:

I love your site. I'd love to try and make frikadellen for my kids. Can I have your recipe?

Mint Chutney said...
April 19, 2006 at 12:30:00 AM GMT+2  

Hi MC,

Thanx for your compliment. Sure you can have that recipe.

Simply use your preferred choice of mince. I often used chicken mince but due to the bird flu am trying to reduce using chicken as much as possible. Here I used beef. I put a carrot, some cauliflower, broccoli and a few herbs in an electric chopper and chopped all this really fine. Soak a white roll in some milk and in the meantime you can mix the mince, with the vegetables, an egg, salt and pepper together. Drain the roll of access fluid and mix into the mince mixture. Put in a shot of oil and mix once again. Form hamburgers out of them and fry until done.

I have a few other great recipes on What's For Lunch Honey?
so, you can always try them out too. I test these on Soeri and have the verdict included at the end of the recipe so I call in kid proof recipes ;-)

Look forward to seeing you here again!

Meeta K. Wolff said...
April 19, 2006 at 8:41:00 AM GMT+2  

Post a Comment