New bread at the bakery

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Posted by Meeta K. Wolff


Pretty terrible stuff happening in Bombay. To think my dad is actually flying into Bombay today. I was kind of freaked out yesterday as I was not so sure if he was already there or flying later today! I was pretty relieved to hear his voice when he picked up the phone. I am still not too pleased that he id not want to postpone the trip.


Our baker presented me with two of his new creations yesterday. I was quite honored when he told me he wanted me to try them out and see what I thought. They are still not publicly on sale and he wants a few of his dearest customers to give their opinion ... and he considers Soeren and one of his dearest LOL! I got extras for his lunchbox too.

That is a rustical red bell pepper bread roll. It is made with olive oil and part rye and part white flour and has fresh roasted bell peppers in it. It was truly delicious. I spread that with some butter and added a slice of cream cheese and some italian mortadella.
The next new creation is something I have to stay away from. It is so heavenly I cannot even begin to describe it. Puff pastry base covered with layers of nuts and honey and a bit of sugar icing. The baker said it was all inspired by us and the Middle East. The puff pastry is supposed to be something similar to the baklava I brought back from Dubai. You can imagine that I was left speechless.
Cherries, red bell peppers complement the rest. The treat today: Raisins!

Adult Variation: Maybe I can inspire you to give me some of your Mid. Eastern variations today. How will you change this one?

4 comments:

Awesome that the baker wants you and Soeren to test things for him! Everything in this lunch sounds amazing, especially the puff pastry creation. Oh my goodness.

As to what I'd change... I'm not a big raisins-on-their-own person, so perhaps I'd substitute some other dried fruit instead. Or the raisins could go in a little salad of some kind, maybe with couscous as a base. I think I'd have to be in the kitchen and not at a computer to work out that recipe haha, but it's a start!

Thinking of everyone in/with loved ones in Bombay...

Suelily said...
July 13, 2006 at 1:57:00 PM GMT+2  

I think spicy hummous and fresh spinach would be great on the red pepper bread.

Anonymous said...
July 13, 2006 at 3:17:00 PM GMT+2  

Totally understand how you feel, Meeta.
Let us know when your dad returns safely
home.

I think it's so wonderful that you are
able to have such a personal relationship
with your local baker. It's such a rare
occurence here on either coast of the States.
When I visit my relatives in England, even
their local bakers, fish mongers, meat, &
cheese guys remember who I am (and I only
see them every 2-3 years)!

As for mideast ideas, I like abb's idea of
hummus. A nice chickpea and garlic spread
for the red bell pepper bread sounds yummy!

Anonymous said...
July 14, 2006 at 2:52:00 AM GMT+2  

Nice one ladies!
Thanks for your ideas.

Payal, I'll write and let you know. You write when your in-laws have gone ;-)

Meeta K. Wolff said...
July 14, 2006 at 9:02:00 AM GMT+2  

Post a Comment