Tiffin Tuesday: fishsticks!

Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Posted by jokergirl@wererabbits



Homemade potato salad garnished with red onion, crisp lettuce and a baby plum tomato in the smaller box.
Wholewheat-breaded fishsticks on brown rice, a yellow tomato slice, broccoli tossed in sesame oil and a slice of pomegrenade in the bigger box.

This is just to show that bento boxes do not need to contain "special" or "exotic" foods! You can make good-looking, healthy and delicious lunchboxes using staples found in (almost) every kitchen. I personally keep things such as fishsticks (or the vegetarian variant, falafel or cheese sticks) in my freezer at all times. They are a wholewheat variant and ovenbaked instead of fried for extra healthiness.
Similarly, the broccoli florets are frozen and just microwaved before being stuck in the box.
The rice and potato salad are leftovers from dinner - it's no trouble to make an extra cup in the evening and stick it in the boxes afterwards.
All in all it's an extremely low work-intensive and quick way to make lunchboxes!






This Post was written by Jokergirl



Are you interested in contributing to The Daily Tiffin? Drop us an email: thedailytiffin@gmail.com. We look forward to hearing your ideas.

3 comments:

It's my first time on this site and I love it. However, as u mentioned, i did find some of the bento boxes a little to exotic for my liking. Yours looks just right and simple enouhg to make. Tks.

Anonymous said...
November 6, 2008 at 2:15:00 PM GMT+1  

Hi...do you have a good idea for a vegetarian look alike for fish sticks ?

Dee said...
November 12, 2008 at 7:49:00 PM GMT+1  

Dee, I have used mozarella sticks before, but I'm not sure if you can get them everywhere. I think there are also frozen "veggie sticks" around, which are basically carrots, peas and similar glued together with some kind of egg/cheese mix and breaded.

I'm not a fan of Quorn, so I can't tell if there's anything like that made of it, but I would guess there is as well!

;)

November 13, 2008 at 6:39:00 PM GMT+1  

Post a Comment