Monday, November 10, 2008
Posted by Deeba PAB
Let's dress stuff up...
- Chocolate leaves/scrolls/shavings/strings
- Chocolate designs piped out & set on parchment paper, & stored in a cool place
- Crystallise edible flowers & leaves
- Coffee beans, jelly beans, Smarties/MnM's
- Silver leaves, metallic edible silver/golden dragees
- Slivered pistachio & almonds, roasted sunflower seeds, sesame seeds etc
- Themed sprinkles
- Coloured/sanding sugar
Things to keep in mind:
- Use the colour wheel if you need help to tie in a holiday theme.
- A dusting of cocoa/powdered sugar/cinnamon powder are a beautiful way to cover flaws.
- Put different chocolates in baggies/ziplocs (dark, milk, white) microwave in 30 second intervals. Once melted uniformly, just snip off an end, & drizzle different colours.
- While the chocolate is still wet, you can sprinkle slivered almonds/pistachios, or 100's & 1000's etc.
- A simple icing for sugar cookies is adding just enough water/extract/lime juice to powdered sugar to get a thick flowing consistency. Colour this (in different bowls if you want different colours), & pipe this on to the cookies. While the icing is wet, you can add dragees/sprinkles to it. I find that sugar cookies take to this sort of icing the best. Leave overnight on racks to dry. If they are not 100% crisp the next day, pop them into a medium oven for 2-3 minutes.
- If you want to tie in colours, add some colour to the white melted chocolate & either spread out on a cold surface & flake; or drizzle over out of a snipped baggie.
- If you choose to garnish with fresh fruit/leaves, don't do it more than 2 hours in advance.
- A swirl of cream gives soup or even a caramel custard a new look. Add fresh coriander (for savoury) or fresh mint...just a tiny sprig makes a difference!
- If you are gifting home-made stuff, try & colour coordinate the packing too. The possibilities are endless...
Have a good & colourful holiday season...
This Post was written by Deeba
Are you interested in contributing to The Daily Tiffin? Drop us an email: firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to hearing your ideas.