Tiffin Tuesday - Pizza Day

Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Posted by Petra Hildebrandt



The bentos I pack are for a very hungry husband, so they have to be nutritious, not about calorie-counting. If you are like me, you have a pizza night every now and then, preparing homemade pizza (I have to admit, sometimes I use a ciabatta baking mix for the dough). The perfect time to plan ahead for your next lunch box! Prepare a little more dough, have your favorite toppings at hand, and get prepared. My hubby has the opportunity to reheat part of his lunch in a microwave/taoster oven, but cold pizza is a nice treat, too :-) Think pizza crackers... and go wild with the toppings!

Pizza is such a comfort food and satisfying, and it does also go well in a bento - for this Mr. Bento-style lunchbox I chose a glass of the size of the tuna can as a cutter. You can cut off the lid and bottom of a tuna can or whatever fits your bento. Make sure you choose the cutter a tad smaller than the box because the dough will rise inevitably.



The topping is simply tomato paste (of course you can use your basic pizza sauce, but tomato paste gets less soggy), Italian herb blend and your extras of choice - here it is salami and mushrooms and tuna/capers, plus a little mozzarella cheese. You can prebake these miniature pizzas until the cheese just melts, and then freeze them on a tray, pack into bags when frozen. Warm them in a toaster oven right before packing your lunch box, or use yesterdays leftovers.

The menu is rounded out by a fresh zucchini salad with homemade Caesar dressing - prep time, including grating, about 2 minutes, if you make the dressing the day before - and in this case, an apple, a few walnuts, two cookies and some chocolates.

Happy Pizza night day!



Are you interested in contributing to The Daily Tiffin? Drop us an email: blogmeeta@gmail.com. We look forward to hearing your ideas.

This Post was written by Petra from FoodFreak

7 comments:

Awesome awesom. Husbands and kids have such similar tastes LOL! Petra love you first post. I only yesterday read in a magazine that one could use ciabata bread mix and alos dough from pilsbury (Knack und Back) - Sonntagsbrötchen and other such cool and easy ideas. Now you are doing the same. Something I really have to try out! Perfect!

Meeta K. Wolff said...
January 8, 2008 at 10:38:00 AM GMT+1  

Great first post Petra.

Lucky man your husband!

January 8, 2008 at 11:21:00 AM GMT+1  

The tiny pizzas are too adorable! This is certainly a lunch that anyone would look forward to.

Nupur said...
January 8, 2008 at 12:05:00 PM GMT+1  

Petra!! mini pizzas looks absolutely delicious. Myself and my 6 yr old loves pizzas so guess whats for lunch this weekend!!
Can't wait to try these yummy delights!!

Padmaja said...
January 8, 2008 at 1:30:00 PM GMT+1  

Nice! I'm a sucker for cold Pizza too. Can I have one Salami and one Mushroom Pizza to go please??!!

Dharm said...
January 8, 2008 at 2:53:00 PM GMT+1  

darn! i shoulda asked for a new bento box for xmas! well, guess i'll have to buy it for myself

SteamyKitchen said...
January 9, 2008 at 2:57:00 AM GMT+1  

Hey Glenna! Thanks for the congrats! I haven't gotten any cake orders yet, but I do have a test today for Med Transcription. I am thinking it may be more than I can handle. We'll see how that goes. Maybe if I did little pizza cracker cakes, people would take interest. They look yummy! When I fist saw them I thought they were sushi. Then read the post. My husband came up behind me and says "Sushi?" Yeah, it's not yet 6 a.m. and we haven't had our coffee yet. Oh btw, my mom lives in Springfield.

January 9, 2008 at 12:58:00 PM GMT+1  

Post a Comment