Helping around the house

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Posted by Dharm


There is nothing quite as infuriating as a Helpless Woman. Actually there is. There's nothing worse than a Helpless Man!   It's quite typical, especially in Asian Cultures, for the man to be absolutely helpless in the kitchen. Some can't even boil water.   Can't may not be the right word because surely Anyone can boil water. The fact of the matter is that some men simply Won't. But far, far worse than a man who is helpless in the kitchen is a man that is well... just plain helpless! Believe me, these men DO exist.


Most women expect their men to be able to do simple fix-its and repairs around the house. Of course, its an added bonus if he helps out in the kitchen as well as with the household chores. Fair call I say.

By the same token, it's very gratifying when a woman is able to do simple fix-its around the house without having to depend on the man. You know, just simple things like checking the fuse before moaning that the toaster is broken; knowing the difference between a Power Failure and an ELCB trip; being able to change the washer on a leaky faucet; Being able to use the measuring tape to check the 'footprint' for the new sofa. If all this sounds Greek to you, then it's time you 'Googled' some of these terms to equip yourself!

You see, just like some women find men that cook to be extremely sexy, there is something to be said for women who know their way around tools and can do fix-its at home by themselves. Even better is a woman who can confidently say "There's a noise coming from the rear wheel, I think it may be the bearing."

Very Hot! See? And you thought that it was only lingerie that got our motors running.

My wife, unfortunately, doesn't know the difference between a plier and a wire cutter. Neither does she know what an adjustable spanner looks like. But she has learnt what an Allen-key is (also known as a hex key)! She IS trying to learn though and in the meantime has some very nice lingerie...

So, where is all this leading? To the kids of course! You see, it's all about exposure. Just like I want to ensure that my children are knowledgeable in the kitchen and food department, I also take pains to get them involved in helping me with little fix-it jobs at home. Nothing like bringing up kids that are all-rounders!!

Just recently, we decided that my daughter needed a bookshelf for her room. So, rather than just doing it myself, I made it into a little fun project!

Firstly, the kids and I measured the 'footprint' for where the bookshelf would go in my daughters room. We then sat down and perused the Ikea catalogue to see what options there were in shelving.

On the weekend we took a trip to Ikea where my daughter decided what bookshelf she wanted in terms of colour and height. My son, of course, added his 'expert' opinion. They couldn't wait to get home to help me assemble the bookshelf. See, exposure isn't enough. You need to get the kids involved as well. It would have been easier for me to tell them to go downstairs and sit with Mummy while I fixed the bookshelf myself. Easier sure, but hardly as much fun. This way, I not only get to spend precious "Daddy Time" with my kids but I get to teach them about working with their hands, the different kinds of tools and their uses, how to read plans and instructions and about using the tools safely and correctly.


The kids in turn take great pride in knowing that they helped to assemble their own bookshelf. You'd also be amazed at how much better care they take of it. And the way they tell everyone about how they fixed the bookshelf, you'd wonder who was actually helping whom!


And remember, the next time the man in your life is busy fixing something and calls out to you to please give him a hand by fetching a screwdriver, surprise him with "Would you be needing a Philips or a Flathead?" Better yet, show him that you can fix it yourself - preferably while wearing lingerie....



Are you interested in contributing to The Daily Tiffin? Drop us an email: blogmeeta@gmail.com. We look forward to hearing your ideas.

This Post was written by Dharm from Dad ~ Baker & Chef



10 comments:

You mean men would find it sexier if I walked into a room wearing my working overalls and electric drill in hand rather than sexy lingerie and cocktails? THAT is a revelation to me Dharm - gotta try that one out on Tom on Valentine's Day LOL!

Seriously though I do agree where it comes to the kids. Tom and I try to expose him to be all rounders. Of course it would be great if he saw his dad baking or cooking and me fixing - ummmm the boiler for instance.

Love your sense of humor here!

Meeta K. Wolff said...
January 30, 2008 at 12:06:00 PM GMT+1  

Meeta, Meeta,
Overalls and an electric drill will certainly do the trick if its ONLY an overall and an electric drill.....!

Dharm said...
January 31, 2008 at 10:15:00 AM GMT+1  

Hi Dharm, Thanks for the "hint" "hint"! After reading your post, I am getting excited to surprise my man with something "sexy" like finding my way through all the options on our TV remote control which needs to be swapped between difference options like Video 1,CD (that one remote "controls"- GOD knows what all devices)! ...I may not be making sense here.....But it will be worth the try to find out and knock off my man again!!

Poonam said...
January 31, 2008 at 1:59:00 PM GMT+1  

So, I cook, I bake, and I build the IKEA furniture and own TWO of my very own cordless drills and my very own chainsaw and I am telling you all this so that you can tell me how awesome and cool I am as my husbands seems to think this is normal. (sigh)

Suzanne said...
February 1, 2008 at 6:22:00 AM GMT+1  

Suzanne!
You have your own Chainsaw?!!
Will you marry me??!!
I sympathise with you but I know just how you feel. My wife thinks its normal that I bake and cook and do household chores too - even if the rest of then men in her family just sit on their fat as**s!

Dharm said...
February 1, 2008 at 8:26:00 AM GMT+1  

Yup! You can see it at a girl's first chainsaw.

Suzanne said...
February 1, 2008 at 8:41:00 AM GMT+1  

Women fancy men in uniform!so maybe next time u can dress up for u wife :P

February 1, 2008 at 8:45:00 AM GMT+1  

You know, Dharm, most of us know the difference, we just like to pretend to make you all feel special :)

Cynthia said...
February 1, 2008 at 7:30:00 PM GMT+1  

Asian men like their girlfriends who are damsels in distress. You know the macho thing. Then when reality hits after the nuptials, the men find that actually women who are self sufficient are such a turn on but sigh its too late.

Anonymous said...
February 3, 2008 at 8:59:00 AM GMT+1  

I think there are a lot of flavors to this... I remember when I bought a computer sometime in the early 90ies in one of those hacker kid stores, and got into a tech discussion with the guy behind the counter - he was mightily impressed that a woman knew exactly what she wanted, why, and what all this hardware was for... and I couldn't agree more on the involving your kids part!

Meeta, you really need to try the overall thing :D

February 5, 2008 at 3:37:00 PM GMT+1  

Post a Comment