Meatball "rice bomb" lunch

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Posted by Biggie @ Lunch in a Box

Bento lunches don't have to be filled with a multitude of different dishes in order to be appealing; focus on packing a balance of food groups and contrasting natural colors in your meal and you'll find that a simple lunch can be just as attractive and satisfying as an ornate one.

Meatball rice bomb bento lunch for preschooler


Rice bomb close-up
This lunch revisits the meatball-stuffed onigiri rice "bombs" that I packed in an adult lunch last year after spying them in a Japanese-language onigiri cookbook. Making them is pretty straightforward: with your hands or ball-shaped onigiri mold (photo below), cover a meatball with warm short- or medium-grain rice, then completely cover that with moistened scraps of nori seaweed. I used pre-made teriyaki meatballs that I picked up at Costco and seasoned Korean seaweed for flavor, but regular Japanese nori is easier to work with and keeps its shape better afterwards as it's less delicate.

Meatball onigiri lunchContents of preschooler lunch: Onigiri rice "bombs" stuffed with teriyaki pineapple chicken meatballs (my favorite, Aidells brand), grape tomatoes and steamed bell pepper with Korean barbecue sauce. I keep a bottle of Korean barbecue sauce in my fridge to quickly flavor any number of protein or vegetable dishes; having a few premade sauces on hand (store-bought or homemade, any of your favorite flavors) is an easy way to speed up your lunch prep.

Rice ball moldMorning prep time: 10 minutes, using leftover refrigerated rice, store-bought meatballs, and leftover bell pepper. In the morning I microwaved the rice to restore its soft texture so I could work with it, and microwaved the meatballs to kill off any surface bacteria (see my Daily Tiffin post on packed lunch food safety). I made these without the molds above, wetting my hands when I put the pieces of seaweed on in order to get them to stick. Honestly, it was just too much effort to dig the mold out from under my stove -- I need to revisit my bento gear organization system to make the larger accessories more accessible.

Packing: Initially I just plopped the rice bombs down into the plain, unlined box, but they looked sad and lonely with the bare box bottom staring back up at me. So I grabbed a piece of lettuce from the refrigerator and lined the box with it for some nice color contrast (I'm guilty of unnecessary garnish here -- my son totally ignored the lettuce). Much better. The bell pepper went into a hard plastic food cup (yellow, to amplify the yellow of the bell pepper), and the grape tomatoes acted as gap fillers to stabilize the lunch in transit. The lunch is packed in one 350ml box from a Lock & Lock lunch set.

Verdict: A qualified thumbs up. My three-year-old ate both of the rice bombs at preschool, and the rest afterwards as a snack. His preschool teacher said that the he had a little trouble eating the rice bombs as they were a little crumbly; this was my fault as I'd let the rice sit too long in the rice cooker before refrigerating it, and it dried out a little. For best results, either use fresh rice or be sure to freeze/refrigerate your leftover rice soon after cooking it, while it's still at its most moist.



Are you interested in contributing to The Daily Tiffin? Drop us an email: blogmeeta@gmail.com. We look forward to hearing your ideas.

This Post was written by Biggie from Lunch in a Box.

4 comments:

Biggie, I love this! Soeren loves meatballs and adding this litle twist is certainly going to be fun and exciting. thanks for the idea!

Meeta K. Wolff said...
January 30, 2008 at 11:59:00 AM GMT+1  

Yum, yum! The meatballs look just great Biggie!

Dharm said...
January 30, 2008 at 12:47:00 PM GMT+1  

your meatball onigiri are great!

February 4, 2008 at 11:03:00 AM GMT+1  

I used bentos, and for 30 years did not even know what they were. In my country they were simply cool Sanrio stuff for girly girls! And then I discovered their real meaning, while browsing through flickr!!! Here is my post on it:

http://ssestonia.blogspot.com/2007/11/bento-missing-link.html

Because you seem to appreciate these little boxes as well!
Great blog!

Mariajaan said...
February 12, 2008 at 11:05:00 PM GMT+1  

Post a Comment