Meat? We Don't Need No Stinkin' Meat!

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Posted by Glenna


Often for my lunchbox, and dinner at home too, I end up with a vegetarian form of whatever I make my husband for dinner. This meal is one of my favorites and will appear more often both at home and at work: Mushroom Ragout over Creamy Polenta, Brussels Sprouts blanched in vegetarian broth, large Spanish Green Olives, and Medjool dates and Orange slices for dessert.

Mushrooms are one of my favorite vegetables. I love their full rich earthy taste savored along with the brightness of green vegetables. They're the meat of the garden group so that's what makes them such a hearty anchor for this meal. When I made this meal, I found that it was easy to adapt it to my meat-eating husband by dropping a chicken breast into the mushroom ragout after I'd pulled my own portion out, while I myself didn't miss the chicken at all. I love polenta and it's rich taste from my youth. The Italians say polenta, my southern roots say corn meal mush. No matter. It all comes out beautifully in the wash.

And as for Brussels Sprouts? I thought I hated them. I've thought I hated them for all but this last year of my 42 years, but you know what? What I've found is that I do like Brussels Sprouts IF they're not gussied up. Add a bunch of butter and bacon or walnuts and orange and they take on a bitterness I don't like, BUT, if I simply blanch them in a little vegetable broth I could eat my weight in them. Who knew? Well I do now and enjoy them often.
Mushroom Ragout
Recipe by Glenna Anderson Muse
8 oz. Mushrooms (I had white buttons on hand), washed and quartered
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 medium onion, diced
1 cup red wine (I had cabernet handy)
1/2 tsp dried thyme Salt and Pepper to taste

Over medium heat, saute onion in olive oil. Add mushrooms and saute until browned and aromatic. Add wine, thyme, salt, and pepper. Cook until wine is reduced by half.

Polenta
Recipe courtesy Mario Batali
4 cups water
2 tablespoons salt
1 cup polenta or cornmeal
In a 3-quart saucepan, heat water and salt until boiling. Drizzle in polenta in a thin stream, whisking constantly, until all polenta is incorporated and mixture begins to thicken. Switch to a wooden spoon, pull off heat and continue to stir until thick as paste.
Brussels Sprouts, Like Revenge: Served Cold
Recipe by Glenna Anderson Muse

1 quart water
1 Tbsp vegetarian boullion
2 cups cleaned and quartered Brussels Sprouts
Bring water and boullion to a boil. Drop in sprouts for one minute. Drain in collander and rinse with cold water to stop cooking. Salt and Pepper to taste. Chill before serving.





Are you interested in contributing to The Daily Tiffin? Drop us an email: blogmeeta@gmail.com. We look forward to hearing your ideas.

This Post was written by Glenna from A Fridge Full of Food...and nothing to eat.


5 comments:

You can make my lunch box any day!! Looks great.

Meg Wolff said...
January 22, 2008 at 7:51:00 PM GMT+1  

I've always loved brussels sprouts!! glad that you like them now as well :0)

LizNoVeggieGirl said...
January 22, 2008 at 7:53:00 PM GMT+1  

Meg--LOL! Thanks! I'll be right over.

Veggiegirl--We're in good company!

Glenna said...
January 25, 2008 at 5:00:00 PM GMT+1  

Can you give me some websites that sell great tiffins/bento boxes?

meg said...
January 26, 2008 at 9:11:00 PM GMT+1  

I love all veggies but my favorite has to be Sprouts. I like them simple too. This lunch box looks great and gives me a good idea for tomorrow's lunch.
Eve

Anonymous said...
February 29, 2008 at 7:47:00 AM GMT+1  

Post a Comment