Tiffin Tuesday - Bibimbap spring

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Posted by jokergirl@wererabbits



Getting into the spring feeling (even if the weather is not cooperating) with a springy, colourful bibimbap bento!


Bibimbap is a simple Korean dish that is colourful, delicious and ideal for bento! It's basically rice with different vegetables (and sometimes meat if you're of the meat-eating persuasion), egg and a spicy sauce called Gochujang. You heat it, stir everything together adding enough of the sauce to fit your taste and desire for spiciness and eat!
In restaurants, this is often served in sizzling hot castiron bowls, which add crunch to the rice and fire to the spices! But even without it, it's a delicious dish.

Mine is the extra-quick microwave variant, since I just bought my first microwave and it came with a steamer set:
Steamed corn, soy sprouts, spinach and slices of egg-log all steamed in the microwave with a little salt, sesame oil and sugar seasoning. I put different spices on each separate heap to differentiate the tastes a little. Egg is easily steamed in the microwave by adding a bit of water to a cup of whisked egg. I learned that trick from my Chinese friends, who spice it with tasty szechuan pepper!
The shredded carrots with balsamic vinegar are leftovers from a vegetarian pasta sauce. And the red sauce decorating it is the Gochujang, which I bought at an Asian supermarket and simply squeezed from the bottle. Technically I should add soy to make it Chogochujang, but I didn't bother as it tastes nice enough!

Here's to hoping spring will come soon...



Are you interested in contributing to The Daily Tiffin? Drop us an email: blogmeeta@gmail.com. We look forward to hearing your ideas.

This Post was written by jokergirl from Were Rabbits.


5 comments:

Oh my JG I am blown away with this one. I love the colors and just love the tastes and aromas you have going on here. You know I have never steamed eggs before. That is soo cool. I guess I will give that a try tomorrow!

Meeta K. Wolff said...
March 11, 2008 at 8:31:00 PM GMT+1  

What do you add to the beansprouts? I just had some korean beansprouts that were so yummie but I have no idea what was added to them. Any suggestions?

The Red Sock said...
March 11, 2008 at 10:30:00 PM GMT+1  

Meeta: Thanks! Steamed eggs get a really soft texture, but you have to be careful not to leave them in for too long - the yolk might discolor.
The Red Sock: I added a pinch of sugar, very little salt and a drop of sesame oil, then steamed them.

PS: Sorry for the missing picture yesterday - we're having web server outages here :(

March 13, 2008 at 1:11:00 PM GMT+1  

In Korea we ate Kimchee Bibimbap, it was delicious!

Meg Wolff said...
March 13, 2008 at 10:53:00 PM GMT+1  

Oh wow! If you packed my lunch every day I'd never eat crapateria food at work again!

Glenna said...
March 17, 2008 at 10:29:00 PM GMT+1  

Post a Comment