Tiffin Tuesday - Stir-Fry Salad

Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Posted by Petra Hildebrandt

I've just discovered a new way of adding healthy veggies (and color and crunch) to my lunchbox:




One of the great time-savers on those all-too-busy days for me are frozen bagged vegetables, especially when it comes to Asian stir-fries. (For those who live in Germany, my preferred brand is Frosta - 100 % taste, with a zero-tolerance policy to additives, even non-declarable additives are off-list in their production process). But until I read on the bag that you could use these vegetables for a salad, the thought never crossed my mind.

This is, essentially, a real quick-fix meal. I used half a bag (or about 8 oz) of the wok veggies, gave them a quick stir-fry in my steel wok until everything was thawed and started to soften, added some grated fresh ginger and a splash of rice vinegar, and drained everything. You can do this ahead the night before. When cooled, add a little chopped scallion and your favorite dressing (I used olive oil, fish sauce, a dash of rice vinegar, pepper and a pinch of chili powder), and your lunch ist ready to be packed.

The other goodies are fresh fruit and sesame pretzels (sesame in the dough) - I made a large batch of sesame grissini and pretzels recently, and popped the pretzels into the freezer, grabbed what I needed from a bag the night before packing the bento. Now that's what I call frozen assets :-)





Are you interested in contributing to The Daily Tiffin? Drop us an email: blogmeeta@gmail.com. We look forward to hearing your ideas.

This Post was written by Petra from Foodfreak



6 comments:

This looks so nice and colorful!
All the frozen wok-mixes here are mainly carrot, which I am not spending money on. Plus they are all marinated...
But the salad is a nice idea, I am going to try that some time soon!
Have you pondered adding glass noodles or somen to the salad?

;)

March 5, 2008 at 10:43:00 AM GMT+1  

Nicely done and very creative--not to mention really healthy!

Glenna said...
March 5, 2008 at 8:16:00 PM GMT+1  

Healthy and perfect! I wish it was easier to feed this to kids than burgers:)

Mansi said...
March 5, 2008 at 9:41:00 PM GMT+1  

This looks wonderful!

Meg Wolff said...
March 6, 2008 at 1:23:00 PM GMT+1  

jokergirl: I am sure glass noodles or somen would work well with this!

mansi: hmm... burgers in a bento.. may have to think about it :-)

March 7, 2008 at 4:21:00 PM GMT+1  

I really like this idea. I too use Frosta as my preferred type for frozen food. In Germany we really are spoilt for choice and I love the fact that one can get such mixes for different tastes - italian, french, chinese.

Meeta K. Wolff said...
March 7, 2008 at 9:31:00 PM GMT+1  

Post a Comment