Learn How To Love Yourself

Friday, February 29, 2008

Posted by Helene


One of the biggest weight loss downfalls is that most of us are too critical of ourselves and end up giving up because we will never reach the image we have of what we “should” look like. I freed myself of all mental blocks by learning how to accept my flaws and embracing what my body could do for me. The day I did that, doors opened that I never new existed! I became calm and grounded, I smiled more often and became free of the thing that were eating me up (forgive the pun).

Stop comparing yourself to other people:
Nowadays we drown under a sea of magazine covers featuring gorgeous actresses and models all more perfect than the next. It won’t be news to you that all these pictures are extremely retouched, cropped, enhanced, etc… Even if Lucy Liu is gorgeous to start with, she works out regularly, has a team of people making her gorgeous at each event she attends. I don’t know about you, but I’d rather deal with what mother gave me than live around my hair dresser, personal shopper, nutritionist, etc…Really, the thought might be nice to have a team of people making me beautiful day in ad day out, but what is the fun of dealing with this everyday?!!

Think about what your body can do for you:
You might be passing on a lot of activities and gatherings because you are constantly obsessed by the way you look and how big your derriere is. No seriously, I remember countless parties I attended when I completely missed on all the fun because I was looking at how perfect Anna and Marie looked in their black dress and how larger my arms were. So not worth it…Now I think about how grateful I am that my strong legs help me be on my feet longer than most people during the day. My small bust allows me to fit into my 16 year old niece’s shirt. Embrace your curves, the shape of your nose, the imbalances that you see but that do not matter to us. It makes you unique and beautiful…really, perfection is boring and bland.

Be kind to yourself:
To see yourself in a better way, you have to be gentler to yourself. Would you like living with somebody who is constantly negative with you? I did not think so, well, that is exactly what you are doing when you keep saying “I don’t like my thighs”, “that cellulite has got to go”, “I wish I were 5 pounds thinner”. That last one is the easier one to deal with: if you need to lose a bit of wait, start reading the Fitness articles we have written here at the DT and get cranking! On a deeper psychological issue, start changing your inner language. Instead of saying you don’t like your hips, think that the Flamenco skirt you saw at the store the other day will have look better on you than on the size 0 stick built girl taking your aerobics class.
Start treating yourself with love, respect and dignity. You demand no less from others, do the same for yourself!

Take care of yourself:
Exercise regularly, eat sensibly and in moderation, find outdoor activities and sign up for group events. Pick up a craft or a hobby, but first and foremost give yourself all the tools for success you would give your child or your spouse. Remember that negative self-language is not attractive to the people around you and your children will pick up on it and it will increase the chance they hold the same language toward their bodies as you do yours.






Are you interested in contributing to The Daily Tiffin? Drop us an email: blogmeeta@gmail.com. We look forward to hearing your ideas.

This Post was written by Helen from Tartelette



4 comments:

that was an inspiring read! if you can't love and respect yourself, you can't get others to do it at all!!:)

just be grateful for how much more you've been gifted with than some others in this world, and you'll have discovered the elixir of happiness!:)

Mansi said...
February 29, 2008 at 10:55:00 PM GMT+1  

Thanks for the great post. Always a good reminder to focus on what is GREAT about us!

I agree with Mansi that it is important to love & respect ourselves.

No negative talk about ourselves is a fantastic place to start. Replace with self kindness phrases. Louise Hay has some great tapes (probably CD's now!) with positive affirmations ... or, make a list of your own. :-)

Unknown said...
March 1, 2008 at 10:35:00 PM GMT+1  

OOPs! That was me (Thomas)... Meg :-)

Meg Wolff said...
March 1, 2008 at 10:37:00 PM GMT+1  

Yes yes yes. I agree with all this and admit when I was younger was always comparing - but I guess with age comes wisdom and realize I am sexy the way I am. Am healthy and happy and that is what counts. When that has stuck in the rest comes easily.

Meeta K. Wolff said...
March 7, 2008 at 9:19:00 PM GMT+1  

Post a Comment