Be As Strong As Your Resolutions

Friday, January 18, 2008

Posted by Helene


On January 2nd, I stood on the sideline, watching other trainers rubbing their hands at the thought of so many people putting their New Year's resolutions into practice by hiring a Personal Trainer. I was actually shaking my hand at that particular trainers/trainees dance. Why? Because I don’t believe in NY resolutions, I believe in lifestyle changes and life adjustments. When January rolls around, people come to me to sign up for training and although I may take a paycheck cut by waiting before signing them up, I give them pointers for the first couple of weeks and if they still follow them after that time then I agree to be their trainer. Why? That way I know that we will both have a better time training and a more long-term relationship. Here are some of the “adjustments” I share with them:

- Develop an action plan for every goal: Instead of saying “I am going to eat better”, start by learning about good nutrients, ways to adapt recipes for with lower fat, lower sugar substitutions. Focus on a few things each day like more vegetables, more calcium, less sodas, etc…
- Start a journal:Write in it not what you did not do right but what you can do better next time. Highlight the positives like: “had a salad instead of fries”, “took the stairs instead of the elevators”.
- Avoid saboteurs and negative people/situations:
Share your goals with positive people and stay away from people who tempt you too often away from your resolutions out of jealousy or envy. Find a goal buddy: chances are some of your co-workers and many of your friends share the same aspirations this time of year.
- Everything is a choice:
Before you make a choice you know is bad, food or exercise related, ask yourself if it will really work for you or help you in the long run.
- At work fitness:
Plan your meals and your snack at home: you will find tons of great ideas for lunch boxes here that will help you stay clear of the vending machines or the bad/only choices at the cafeteria
Organize sports team among your co-workers and have weekly or bi-monthly softball or volleyball games. You can also organize a riding or walking group that can meet either before work or on the weekends.
Replace your work chair by a stability ball so you can work on your posture and your abs without even thinking about it.
- Take advantage of your workplace wellness programs:
More and more work places have gym rooms available for their employees. Don’t be intimidated by there alone, chances are you are not alone, ask your friends at work if they would like to start the day by a good 30 minute session on the treadmill or a few sets of crunches
More and more corporations have set up free or reduced price membership plans with gyms in their area and now is the best time to take advantage of them.
- Take charge:Call the gyms around you and see if they offer corporate discounted rates. Present the idea to your boss or have one of the gym consultant present it to him/her. It’s a win-win situation: you get to workout for less and healthier/happier employees mean better productivity.
-Enroll the kids:
Having a difficult time even making it to a gym, let alone hire a trainer? Make it a daily goal to get the kids out for a little walk around the block or a game of Frisbee. The goal is not to be perfect at it, but to have fun moving. They will get some fresh air, and you will get to move around while spending some quality time with them.

My best advice though is that when your willpower start to fail is to communicate with your closest supporters: tell your mate, roommate, kids the good the bad and the ugly. Ask for help and never hesitate to offer your guidance, experience, being a mentor or having someone else look up to you for advice is a sure way to keep on track!





Are you interested in contributing to The Daily Tiffin? Drop us an email: blogmeeta@gmail.com. We look forward to hearing your ideas.

This Post was written by Helen from Tartelette


2 comments:

This is a brilliant post Helen! It shows real integrity that you don't just bank the cheque first off. That alone would make me more motivated.

January 19, 2008 at 9:58:00 AM GMT+1  

I wish you were my personal trainer. I find often that the integrity you show here is not so common by others. Even my gym is so money minded and I often find myself trying to motivate myself and or setting up my own fitness plan because for every question I ask our gym charges!!!

But with your sound advice I am sure I can do it and be strong. Thanks for this great post Helene!

Meeta K. Wolff said...
January 21, 2008 at 1:25:00 PM GMT+1  

Post a Comment