Chocolate cake, Watermelon and a Pesto sandwich

Monday, September 04, 2006

Posted by Meeta K. Wolff



Do you know when it's time to get your kid a complete new wardrobe?

When everything he wears is too short! Soeren is growing like weed. I am being serious. I have this problem with him and his clothing. He grows taller but for some reason his waistline will not grow wider LOL! My dilemma is, when I shop for him, to find pants, jeans, shorts that are long enough but slim enough for his waistline.

I am gonna let you in on a secret. I have a pair of skater jeans for him. The truth be told here: They were in actual fact a pair of normal jeans that I bought for him when he was about two and half years old. The are soo cool that I never had the heart to sort out. So this year as they still fitted around the waist I just folded them up to the knees and turned them into skater shorts. Can you believe that? It's not like he does not get anything to eat. You all are my witnesses ;-).

On Saturday we went shopping for the kiddo. I love the stuff they have at H&M. This time I was able to go a little crazy as it seems the H&M designers realize this problem. All kids do not have the same waistlines So, they have integrated a kind of elastic waist band that can be adjusted to fit your kids waistline. Brilliant! We came back with three huge shopping bags filled with Soeri's new Fall/Winter collection. Trousers, jeans, shirts jackets, socks and some fantastic accessories.

On Sunday I spent the morning sorting his closet out. Three bags in and a huge box out! I do save most of the clothes ... you know "just in case"!

Well today's luchbox celebrates a new week in the new group. It is packed with some lovely rye bread spread with a layer of cream cheese, a layer of Pesto alla Genovese and some Italian mortadella. The sweet baby bell peppers were a huge hit and I think will become regulars in the lunchboxes from now on. In the plastic wrap is a chocolate cake filled with a milk cream. Another container of watermelon and a Spanish clementine that is so juicy and succulent. A box of raisins and a few jelly drops as a treat.

Adult Variation: I believe changing very much here makes no sense. Maybe I would substitute the chocolate cake with a fruity lighter type of cake. But otherwise it looks great.

As this week many kids are going "Back to School" all over the World, I thought I would link up a few appropriate recipes from my other blog WFLH to help mummies all over the world fill their kids' boxes with some scrumptious goodies.

Pasta Spinach Salad - A lovely light salad with cottage cheese, spinach and roasted pine nuts.
Club Sandwich Delux - Melt in your mouth sandwich with egg salad, tomatoes and ham. The great thing about this one is you can keep making these with a variety of different ingredients.
Zucchini and Fennel Frittata - Light and fluffy Frittata with great tasting zucchini and fennel. Trust me, the kids will gobble it up in no time!
Pesto Rosso and Mozzarella tart - Flakey puff pastry with pesto rosso and mozzarella. An easy recipe ro make and easy to carry. Kids will enoy popping these into their mouths.

Check back tomorrow for more great ideas.

3 comments:

MMM. Thank you for the links to those recipes. We're big pesto fans in my house. I'm so glad to have found you (actually, my sister did the work...) Best, BL

Anonymous said...
September 5, 2006 at 8:00:00 AM GMT+2  

Meeta, how do you come up with such new ideas daily? I think I should keep reading your blog, it would be a treasure for me in future when I will have to cook food for my kids. As of now, I am scratching my head for my hubby's lunchbox :). (BTW..inspired by your lunchbox ideas, I started giving fruits to him in the lunchbox :D).

Anonymous said...
September 5, 2006 at 7:42:00 PM GMT+2  

Hey BL, Welcome to the blog! Glad you like it. I'll be checking yours out regularly too ;-) Keep your thoughts and comments coming in.

Shilpa, Hmmm! I don't know I just open the fridge and let the rest just flow. Soeren adds his twopence worth of suggestions and together we creat the daily tiffen ;-) I hope you stick around and keep giving your thoughts and ideas. I would not mind getting a bit of inidanized food culture in his box too. Hope your hubby does not kill me it he starts to get a vitamin shock LOL!

Meeta K. Wolff said...
September 8, 2006 at 12:00:00 PM GMT+2  

Post a Comment