Have You Made Any New Year Resolutions Yet?

Monday, December 29, 2008

Posted by Mansi

(image courtesy-wikimedia)

2008 is coming to an end, and like every New Year, its time to reflect on what's gone by, evaluate the good and bad, make some amendments if possible, plan some new goals for the coming year, and move on ahead with a smile and anticipatin on what's in store for you over the border of time!

As I was busy evaluating my 2008 professional goals at work, and writing up new ones for 2009, I realized its important to do so at the personal level too. New Year resolutions, as people have so named them, are nothing but a list of things you'd love to change in life. They can be as precise as "Lose 10 pounds by May 2009", or something as spiritual as "Try to play with my kids more often". I was intrigued to find out what others feel about such resolutions, and I was surprised to find that quite a lot of them are goals that would be common to most of us. I sat down to scribble a few things I'd like to do, and here's what I came up with:

1. Be a better listener and more patient with people
2. Try to be more carefree about things rather than worrying my head off
3. Learn to lower your expectations of others, and increase those from yourself
4. Earn enough to buy a new house:)D
5. Cultivate a new hobby that's not tied to my personality type

Ok, there were several more things I thought of, but I'd rather not bore you guys with it. But what I'd like to convey is that it felt good to jot down these things! The fast pace of life often provides us with less opportunity to sit back and reflect on what we can do to improve our lives without much effort. We always try to change others, and it's way easier to point fingers at others rather than accept faults of your own. But just half an hour of honest self-inspection can grant you an inner perspective and make you powerful enough to hear your inner voice - a feat that escapes most of us due to the din and bustle of life

So, take an hour to think about what leaves you dissatisfied, and make a list of things you could do to change it yourself. Then select the Top 5 or 10 things from that list, and translate them into measurable goals, or New Year resolutioins. Allot yourself a deadline, for humans never accomplish a goal till pushed to do so, stick the list in your cubicle or as a post-it on your laptop, so you are reminded about them every day, and try working on them. Consider yourself successful even if you finish half of them, and give yourself a pat and a treat every time you tick-off each goal.

I just finished reading a book called "Siddhartha", by Herman Hesse, and it made me realize that Life indeed is a learning journey, and Experience is surely the best teacher. You don't neeed someone else to define what you seek from life - the power lies within, its only a question of taking some time to talk to your soul, and you'll find most of your answers in that moment of self-awakening

So, what are some of your New Year goals and resolutions? Or don't you beleive in them at all? Share with us what you feel. But for those who have already made a list, I wish you all the best in accomplishing them, and wish you all a Happy and prosperous 2009

This post was written by Mansi


Are you interested in contributing to The Daily Tiffin? Drop us an email: thedailytiffin@gmail.com. We look forward to hearing your ideas.

4 comments:

I guess I should come up with my own list too. I guess what goes on top of my list is to avoid worrying too much. I should try to let go of any unecessary worries because it will just add more stress to my day. Wish you all the best for the coming year!

Anonymous said...
December 30, 2008 at 4:15:00 AM GMT+1  

I am more of a long term planne rand I like the approach of the 101 things in 1001 days system, see http://www.triplux.com/dayzero/default.asp?view=gettingstarted

I've found, though, that my first attempts needed serious reconsideration, because some goals just are doomed from the beginning ...

I think the problem with resolutions is that they tend to be rather vague. If you want to achieve something you need to set a goal, not make resolutions. A goal which is measurable and can hold you accountable, something you can stick to, set milestones.

Anonymous said...
December 30, 2008 at 6:25:00 PM GMT+1  

I plan on helping my 12 year old get in to more training with his new Golden Retriever puppy - the agility, strength, etc training as I think it would be a fun thing for our family to do and would be great exercise

Happy Holidays!

Anonymous said...
December 31, 2008 at 6:41:00 AM GMT+1  

I have no resolutions Mansi...guess I'm not brave enough! I love reading other peoples resolutions though, & nod my head wildly in agreement. Have a wonderful 2009!!

Deeba PAB said...
January 4, 2009 at 12:39:00 PM GMT+1  

Post a Comment