Tuesday, December 02, 2008
Posted by Dee
The Holiday season begins at our home with this dish alternating as a snack , dessert and sometimes even breakfast. Quick to put together , its a low sugar treat which one can enjoy without any remorse or guilt. The variations are endless, you can use just one kind of berry or a combination of a few. I chose to use mixed berries.
1 cup of mixed berries
4 firm slices of bread ( home style white bread tastes best)
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon of sugar
2 pinches of Cardamom powder
1 tablespoon of butter/margarine
1. Toast the bread slices in an oven warmed at 200F. Alternatively you can toast using a normal toaster, but ensure that they are warm. Remove the crusty edges and smear with butter/margarine on both sides of the bread and cut diagonally into triangles.
2. Take the 1 tablespoon of sugar in a plate add a pinch of cardamom and mix well and sprinkle on both sides of the bread.
3. In a saucepan , add the remaining butter and 1 teaspoon of sugar and a pinch of cardamom and cook the berries for about 3 minutes i.e. until they are soft but still intact.
4.In a plate take about 4 slices and pour this warm berry mixture on the bread triangles. Serve warm and enjoy!
1. The recipe called for home style white bread, I used whole wheat bread.
2. You can use other flavors like cinnamon, fennel, star anise , aniseed, lemon, mint, lemon verbana, vanilla instead of cardamom.
Recipe Source : Luscious Berry Desserts by Lori Longbotham
This goes to Monthly Mingle - Low Sugar Treats hosted by Daily tiffin this month! Last date for entries is December 8th 2008.
This post was written by Dee
Are you interested in contributing to The Daily Tiffin? Drop us an email: firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to hearing your ideas.