Tiffin Tuesday: Crepe Cake, Crepe Rolls and Fruit

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Posted by Meeta K. Wolff



Leftovers are worth gold when it comes to packing lunches for the next day. Never ever throw anything away, when you can either use it the next day or freeze and then make a new creation a few weeks later.

Soeren's lunch box here is a good example of how I used some leftovers.


Contents: Savory crepe, spread with light goat cream cheese, turkey breast and a dash of homemade tomato sauce to seal the crepe rolls. A slice of Tom's birthday cake - chocolate crepe cake. Adding more color to the lunch box are the slices of juicy oranges and sweet organic strawberries.

Prep time: 5 minutes
The cake was made two days earlier so I just needed to cut up a slice large enough to fit into the container and large enough for Soeren's appetite. While making the crepes for the cake I had reserved some of the batter before making it sweet. I baked a small batch of savory crepes and froze them. The best way to freeze pancakes or crepes is to lay a sheet of waxed or parchment paper between each layer of crepe. Then place the entire stack in a ziploc bag and freeze. This hinders the pancakes sticking to each other. You can take them out individually and as many as you require. For Soeren's lunch box I took one out and placed it just for a few seconds in the microwave on "defrost". Spread some of his favorite goat cream cheese and layered it with a slice of thinly cut roasted turkey breast and some homemade tomato sauce. Then after rolling the crepe up, I simply cut them in bite size pieces. For kids it's a practical way to serve and pack things like stuffed pancakes or tortillas - the filling does not leak out and while eating the sizes are more manageable.

If you would like to indulge, you will find the recipe for the Chocolate Crepe cake here.

Enjoy your lunch, where ever you are!



Are you interested in contributing to The Daily Tiffin? Drop us an email: blogmeeta@gmail.com. We look forward to hearing your ideas.

This Post was written by Meeta from What's For Lunch, Honey?


5 comments:

soeren is a lucky little boy.

bee said...
May 29, 2007 at 3:47:00 PM GMT+2  

Oh Meeta - the crepe cakes makes another appearance! :D I actually still have 2 slices in my freezer waiting to be finished off...

Anonymous said...
May 29, 2007 at 8:19:00 PM GMT+2  

This is a great job....Healthy cooking HUH!.....Colourful one....Love it...

Suganya said...
May 30, 2007 at 2:25:00 AM GMT+2  

I am impressed you and Gilly still have some crepe cake leftover!
Soeren is a lucky guy!

Helene said...
May 30, 2007 at 6:43:00 AM GMT+2  

Bee - please let him know that when he is throwing one of his tempers at me LOL!

Gilly - LOL!! I thought you and Helene would get a kick out of this lunch box! That was my last piece and finally I say my final goodbye to the crepe cake.

Sukanya, thanks for that - it's part healthy and part treat hehehe!

Helene - yup I had to freeze some because even though I had made a smaller version we still were unable to finish it all off. But now it's all gone!

Meeta K. Wolff said...
May 30, 2007 at 11:47:00 AM GMT+2  

Post a Comment