Do Additives Make Children Hyper?

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Posted by YumSugar

I was never one of those overactive kids (in fact, I may have been borderline sluggish), but my mom also kept us away from as many processed foods as possible. She was a firm believer in whole foods and natural ingredients (she even tried to pass frozen fruit off as "ice cream" on more than one occasion) and perhaps that's why we were well behaved.

It may be a coincidence, but a new British study is showing that there is a link between artificial food coloring and hyperactivity. Groups of 3, 8 and 9 year olds were given fiven different food colorings - the amount that an average child might consume all day. The children in the study showed behavioral problems such as temper tantrums, poor concentration, hyperactivity and allergic reactions. The additives they tested were ones that are approved in the EU (although some are actually banned in the US). A similar test from a few years ago also found similar results.

They haven't fully published the new findings, but I would be really interested to see the full scientific results. I'm not totally surprised, as I'm sure the additives do something, but I'm curious to see how the control group was tested. Aren't temper tantrums and hyperactivity just part of being a kid? What do you guys think?

Source: Press TV



Are you interested in contributing to The Daily Tiffin? Drop us an email: blogmeeta@gmail.com. We look forward to hearing your ideas.

This Post was written by Sabrina from YumSugar

2 comments:

THAT would really interest me too. Soeren at the moment is going through one of these "phases" - tempers and tantrums. But, like your mum I am as careful as one can be and also believe in whole, organic foods over to processed. However, often additives still find a way into our systems e.g. eating out or the school cafeteria etc. so, the test would really be interesting!

Meeta K. Wolff said...
May 30, 2007 at 9:03:00 AM GMT+2  

They've done a few tests like this in the UK and report on them regularly. I'll look up some links and send them to you. It makes you paranoid, I spent the first few years never allowing anything to go through their mouths that wasn't organic. I'm more relaxed about it now. With two boys with very different personalities I think a lot of it is just who they are. My eldest is calm, kind and sensitive, youngest is a big temper tantrum thrower and I think he'll still be doing it when he's a grown up! Amanda

May 31, 2007 at 11:04:00 AM GMT+2  

Post a Comment