Simplicity, Thy Name is Lunch

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Posted by Glenna


There are days when my private life just barely manages to untangle itself from my work life and on those days I need the lunchbox to be packed quickly and simply so I can scoot out the door to work with no hassle. I bet you know what I'm talking about.

I have to confess. Maybe I should say "share a secret". When my husband had his heart attack several years ago I changed many things in my pantry. Mainly the transfat got the heave ho, including anything that had the label "Little Debbie" (snack cakes) on it. But I knew I'd have a harder time with in the meat department. My husband is a typical meat and potatoes man so, sigh, to cut back on his saturated fat, I had to get a little sneakier. He's long since figured out that the green Morningstar boxes are "vegetarian", a four lettered dirty word in his vocabulary, but I had a good run. It took a year before he read the box and discovered there was no chicken in his chicken patties, no beef in his corn dogs, no pork in his sausage. What can I say? Even the militant meat man knows good taste when he chomps it and he still eats the corndogs from time to time.

These days I, myself, am not eating much meat at all so the convenience of Morningstar's products are a lifesaver for me and my work lunch. Last night was no exception. A couple of corndogs and an orange were easily thrown in my lunchbox and then at work I grabbed a side salad in the cafeteria. Fast, healthy, and pain-free. Exactly what I needed at the time.




Are you interested in contributing to The Daily Tiffin? Drop us an email: blogmeeta@gmail.com. We look forward to hearing your ideas.

This Post was written by Glenna from A Fridge Full of Food...And Nothing to Eat



3 comments:

Oh yes - I know what you are talking about Glenna, when you say quick packed lunch. What really stumps me though is that a meat eater, like your husband, did not know the difference between meat and meatless. I myself have never tried such products, mainly because I have not seen the here, but now I am really intrigued.

Meeta K. Wolff said...
November 27, 2007 at 4:17:00 PM GMT+1  

If there were only one Morningstar product I would recommend, it'd be the corn dogs.
My husband loves hot dogs and he can't tell the difference. I also introduced my friend Matt and he was shocked to hear there was no meat in them.

Unknown said...
November 28, 2007 at 5:45:00 AM GMT+1  

Meeta and Peggy--Yes! Exactly. The night I took that lunch I wasn't hungry enough to eat the second corndog (and had been planning to give it away to the doubting Thomas's anyway) and there was not one person at work who had a bite who could tell it was meatless. Fresh and home-made is always better, but when it comes to a quick packed lunch, Morningstar has my heart.

Glenna said...
November 29, 2007 at 12:30:00 PM GMT+1  

Post a Comment