Inside A German Bakery: A Twisted Bread

Monday, November 05, 2007

Posted by Meeta K. Wolff



It's been a while since I took you for another peak at my baker's. But I am back with another great bread that my baker makes using organic products. In German it's called "Wurzelbrot" - roughly translated it would mean a twisted bread or root bread. Probably because of it's shape.



While researching for this bread I found out that it actually originated in Switzerland and soon became extremely popular here in Germany. It's has a wonderful aroma and strong rustic taste. The combination of malt flour with wholemeal and normal bread flour probably is what makes this bread have such a unique flavor.



My baker also told me that the aromas have all the time to unfold in this bread as it is left to rest for 24 hours. Cutting into the bread, it has a crispy crust but is a perfectly moist crumb and the light hint of malt lingers in the air when freshly bought.

It's perfect with a strong cheese or even sweet preserve. My favorite way it eating it with a Gruyere cheese and a few slices of figs on top.

This bread seems easy enough to make at home and I urge any one who enjoys making bread to give this a try. Unforgettable.

Twisted Bread - Wurzelbrot

Ingredients
500g flour - you can use a mix of malt, wholemeal and normal flour
1/2 packet of dry yeast
300 ml ice cold water
2 teaspoons salt
Pinch of sugar
Extra flour for sprinkling
Oil to coat the baking tray

Method

Pre-heat the oven to 240 degrees C.

Dissolve the yeast in some luke warm water. Then using the hook attachment of your kitchen machine mix all the ingredients together and allow to knead for 5-10 minutes.

Pour out the dough into an ovenproof form or a casserole and cover it well. My baker gave me a tip: place the from in a plastic bag and tie it tightly.

Allow the dough to rest and rise overnight for at least 12 hours in the refrigerator.

After the resting period remove the dough and pour out onto a floured counter top. Using a sharp knife cut off thick strips lengthwise. Make sure you do not knead the dough anymore as this destroys the air bubbles and causes the bread to become stiff. You are aiming for a light fluffy crumb.

Oil a baking tray well. Take each strip of dough and roll it against each other - almost like a corkscrew. However not so tightly. Repeat for each strip of dough. Place them on the baking tray and bake the bread for 15 minutes until the crust is crispy. Then reduce the heat to approx. 150 degrees C and bake for a further 30 minutes.

Enjoy warm.

Happy baking and have a great week! It's great to be back again!





Are you interested in contributing to The Daily Tiffin? Drop us an email: blogmeeta@gmail.com. We look forward to hearing your ideas.

This Post was written by Meeta from What's For Lunch, Honey?

2 comments:

I can almost smell the fresh bread. :)

Raaga said...
November 6, 2007 at 6:58:00 AM GMT+1  

I used to buy this bread in Poland in family town. It is called there old-slavic bread. I am really happy that I have found this recipe at yoor blog and I am going to try it soon

Anonymous said...
November 1, 2009 at 3:10:00 AM GMT+1  

Post a Comment