Lunchbox: Cake to Celebrate

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Posted by Meeta K. Wolff



Soeren had his first day at school yesterday. A very exciting day and most probably I was the one who was more anxious and excited then he was. Routines and daily rituals will change slightly around here now, but we are all looking forward to this new phase in his life.


School for Soeren is the ThIS (Thuringia International School). A private school where lessons are taught in English rather than German. Saturday we were invited to the festivities of the German tradition of Zuckertuete - Sugar Cone, by the school. Here children starting school get a sugar cone made of cardboard and filled with a lot of goodies. As Soeren actually starts this year with Pre-School, and not 1st Grade, we decided to give him a small sugar cone.



Yesterday, he was bubbling with energy and was very confident. Joined the group with no fuss or tears. It was me with the pounding heart! His teacher is a South African lovely lady - Ms. Pienaar.

The lunch boxes for him will also be changing slightly. Instead of packing a breakfast and afternoon snack, he will only be getting a small breakfast snack. Lunch is eaten in a cafeteria where he can choose from 3 different warm meals and help himself to a "Vitamin Bar" - a buffet filled with salads and fruits - as much as he likes.

At the beginning of the month we get the menu and choose which one of the 3 meals he would like to eat. The menu is then handed to the school and they save the lunches we chose on a special chip card specially made for him. Throughout the month he simply needs to give in his chip card to the cafeteria people and they serve him the lunch he selected. The money for this lunch is then deducted automatically from our accounts at the end of the month. It's a high tech system for a 4 year old but he had no trouble with it yesterday.

I do hope at some point I can interview the cafeteria people and take a few photos so I can write a little article for you here. I love the types of food they serve - healthy, nutritious and fun. I was really impressed.

The lunch box you see here is one still from the KIGA - I have a few saved up and would still like to share these with you. So, in the next few Tiffin Tuesday issues (whenever it is my turn) I'll be showing you these.

Contents:
Half a bagel, slightly toasted, spread with herb flavored cream cheese and a layered with a slice of honey glazed ham. A couple of yellow fruity cherry tomatoes and a mini bell pepper. They taste amazingly sweet. For the fruits we have a few cut up juicy organic strawberries and grapes. The cake is a delicious chocolate cake from our baker.

Prep time: 7 minutes
While the bagel is toasting you can quickly chop up the strawberries, wash and pick off the grapes. Once the bagel pop out of the toaster take them out and leave them to cool slightly - otherwise the cream cheese starts to melt when spread on the hot bagel. This gives you time to de-seed the bell pepper and and add them along with the tomatoes to the box. Cut up a piece of the cake and then prepare the bagel. I simply spread the cheese with not butter and then layer with the ham.

Nothing extravagant - just a easy and simple meal that kids really enjoy.

Hope you have a great week! Take care!



Are you interested in contributing to The Daily Tiffin? Drop us an email: blogmeeta@gmail.com. We look forward to hearing your ideas.

This Post was written by Meeta from What's For Lunch, Honey?



22 comments:

Good luck with the new school, Soeren. It sounds like a lot of fun!
And Meeta, you look good!

Nupur said...
August 21, 2007 at 1:13:00 PM GMT+2  

I know what you mean when you say 'I was the one who was more anxious and excited then he was':) Children adapt to changes faster than we elders do.Good Luck to your little boy for his school!And both of you rock in that picture!

Anonymous said...
August 21, 2007 at 1:42:00 PM GMT+2  

It was fun reading this, almost felt like i was reading your first day in school....and quite amazed n impressed as to what levels technology has penetrated kids' lives....

Is that you in the pic sweetie, somehow in the earlier pics i've seen of u, you looked different

Unknown said...
August 21, 2007 at 1:55:00 PM GMT+2  

Best wishes to your son..and you look very good Meeta...thanks for sharing this picture ...

Srivalli
www.cooking4allseasons.blogspot.com

Srivalli said...
August 21, 2007 at 2:42:00 PM GMT+2  

Good to see the person behind the camera in front of it today! :)

Good luck to Soeren!

Coffee said...
August 21, 2007 at 3:47:00 PM GMT+2  

glad to know soeren likes his new school. and his mommy is pretty.

bee said...
August 21, 2007 at 4:01:00 PM GMT+2  

Meeta, I can understand how it is on the first day of the school, boy was I super anxious on my kids first day of school.
Meeta have a question, my kids love bagels but i see they become like hard rocks if not eaten warm ,how do you manage to keep it soft,do you put them in a thermal container or something of that sorts.would love to hear from you

Sreelu said...
August 21, 2007 at 4:16:00 PM GMT+2  

Good luck with Soeren's new school Meeta. He starts Kindergarten ?
Is that you, you look good but tense :)

Bong Mom said...
August 21, 2007 at 5:52:00 PM GMT+2  

All the best Champ!! hope u have loads of fun n learnin at ur school!!! Nice to see u Meeta!

Manasi said...
August 21, 2007 at 6:06:00 PM GMT+2  

Aww, Soeren is so cute! And he's got his own cone - we called it Schultüte when I grew up, but I had to wait another year from preschool to "proper" ground school until I got one!

;)

August 21, 2007 at 6:56:00 PM GMT+2  

I had written a comment but i guess i didn't write the varification words.
So here i am writting again.
Read your post, it brought back memories of my daughters first day in school.
Good luck to Soeren.

Finla said...
August 21, 2007 at 8:21:00 PM GMT+2  

Hi folks, thanks for all the comments and well wishes for Soeren.

Nupur, you flatter ;-) Thanks for the well wishes.

Madhuli, thanks for the well wishes. I agree that they adapt more easily. I think as parents we are just slightly protective of them getting hurt, making mistakes etc. But I do understand that - exactly that is a part of learning for them .... and for us!!

Nandita, true technology is very different then it was when we went to school but it's how the future is going to be shaped and if it is not senseless I am quite open to this. As for me - well it's probably my new hairdo - got it a few weeks ago LOL!

Srivalli, thanks for bot the wishes and the compliment.

Coffee - lol!

Bee - I'm blushing!

Sreelu, thanks for the comment. I do not toast the bagel completely just slightly, then wrap in aluminum foil to keep fresh. It's not warm when he eats it but at least it's soft and edible.

Sandeepa, thanks for the wishes. I probably look tense because I feel more comfortable behind the camera rather than in front of it LOL! Seriously though we had just come back from a long school function and I was pretty tired. The photo shoot was for family, friends and album - baahh!

Manasai, thanks sweetie. Appreciate the comment.

JG - yes it's the same here - they get the "real" tüte when they go to the first class. But as it's a new phase for Soeren from KIGA to Pre-School we thought we can celebrate with a small one.

HC - thanks!

Meeta K. Wolff said...
August 21, 2007 at 8:55:00 PM GMT+2  

Wow! Meeta, Is that you? I was thinking to myself 'Who is this pretty lady, Meeta or his new teacher?'...

Suganya said...
August 21, 2007 at 10:15:00 PM GMT+2  

Good luck to both you and Soeren! School lunches for him sound like they will be wonderful! I wish we had something like it here, but no, back to making daily lunches for me!

Jenny said...
August 21, 2007 at 11:03:00 PM GMT+2  

Good luck with the new school Meeta. With the cafeteria you described, it is really a huge load off you :-) and we had swipe cards at my last work place, but pre-school! The times sure are changing.

And that picture is a keeper :-)

Raaga said...
August 22, 2007 at 8:03:00 AM GMT+2  

Enjoyed your post very much. You both look adorable and good luck to Soeren. You almost made me want to go to school with him and check on this cafeteria!!

Helene said...
August 22, 2007 at 10:02:00 PM GMT+2  

meeta
You are terrific behind as well as in front of the camera, sweetheart. What I meant was you were more tense than Soeren on his first Big Day :)

Bong Mom said...
August 23, 2007 at 4:57:00 AM GMT+2  

Hi,

I am going to become mother soon and I am getting tensed and anxious from now only.:) Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...
August 25, 2007 at 11:12:00 PM GMT+2  

Ah Meeta! A huge belated birthday for Soeren and total sympathy for the first day at pre-school. I cried for about an hour after dropping the eldest off on his first day at pre-school.

August 26, 2007 at 7:14:00 PM GMT+2  

hi Meeta,
am completely new to you, but vice versa for me. I am just 2 day old to the world of blogging, but have been going thru various cookery blogs for some time now(as a silent reader)..and yours was one amongst my favourites..honestly, your photographs are truly class!!!..excellent presentation, and today, goin thru your posts once again, saw your face, and trust me, i really felt glad..."so, this is the lady who is ooh so creative!!!"..great works Meeta..your lunch box presentation is also good..I have been looking thru various bento lunch packing blogs, and is really attracted towards the word"lunchbox" now..
anyways, at last, i have posed a comment here..will keep in touch,
cheers,
sona

September 4, 2007 at 3:43:00 PM GMT+2  

Sug! You make me blush. Thanks for the compliment. You realize my head won't fit through doors now don't you?

Q. - hey but at least you know what goes in it. I enjoy packing the lunch boxes.

Raaga, thanks. True they now also have a swipe card that works as a student ID and a Library card. I think I need to gt him a wallet just for the cards!!

Sandeepa, LOL thanks!

Dagny, don't! You always have a place here to turn to if you need support and advice!

Meeta K. Wolff said...
September 4, 2007 at 5:17:00 PM GMT+2  

Amanda, LOL! I can imagine. Bu they will be fine!

Helene, I do not think anything will make me want to go back to school LOL! Thanks for your wishes.

Sona - wow! thanks for all these pleasant words. I hope we see more of you!!

Meeta K. Wolff said...
September 4, 2007 at 5:19:00 PM GMT+2  

Post a Comment