Legumes to the Lunchbox Rescue

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Posted by Glenna



I'm new to the Daily Tiffin, so by way of introduction, I'm Glenna of A Fridge Full of Food blog. By career, I'm a former convention/meeting planner and cake decorator. Currently, I am a respiratory therapist for a city hospital by evening and a freelance writer working on her first novel by day.

Because I work an odd-ish shift, 2pm-11pm, I eat dinner at work. I've found, over the last two years through trial and error (mostly errors at the vending machines and at the cafeteria grill) that I'm a happier, healthier, thinner (relatively speaking) women when I pack a lunch...er...dinner. Sure, there are salads and some steamed beyond life vegetables available in the hospital cafeteria, but amazingly, none of them ever seem to make it onto my tray no matter how many mornings I vow to myself that today I will ignore the chili dog and tater tot special or the grilled ham & swiss with potato chips. On the other hand, when I pack my dinner at home, none of those "bad" foods ever make it into my bento and yet I never feel deprived or yearn for them.

Tonight's dinner is the perfect proof of the point: lentil/orzo salad with fresh veggies. Chilled and refreshing for a hot August evening and packed with vitamins B-12, A, C, and carotene, lunch (Dinner) boxes don't have to be boring and neither does healthy. It feels good to take my cute little bento box in it's pretty fabric carrier and even more fun to open my dinner under the envious eyes of my coworkers.

The lentil salad is a simple combination of 1 cup lentils cooked with onion and carrot, and then cooled, along with 1 cup of cooked and cooled orzo. The salad is seasoned with one chopped green onion, one chopped rib of celery, 2 Tbsp of expeller-pressed walnut oil, salt and pepper.

The salad was combined and dinnerbox packed in under fifteen minutes since the lentils and orzo had been pre-cooked and chilled in the fridge. And there's enough left over to take to work tomorrow. Yum, something to look forward to.



Are you interested in contributing to The Daily Tiffin? Drop us an email: blogmeeta@gmail.com. We look forward to hearing your ideas.

This Post was written by Glenna from A Fridge Full of Food



9 comments:

Very healthly lunch(dinner) box ..Glenna ...

Srivalli
www.cooking4allseasonsblogspot.com

Srivalli said...
August 7, 2007 at 9:32:00 AM GMT+2  

Great first post! It looks really healthy & tasty. You're so right it's very hard to choose the healthy stuff when you're stood in the queue like that.

Good luck with your novel!

August 7, 2007 at 9:35:00 AM GMT+2  

This is my kind of lunch ... err ... dinner! It has everything I totally enjoy. Also a perfect lunch box idea for kids too. They love any type of pasta and I love cheating by adding other health ingredients - like here the lentils. The world for them seems much better if pasta is included. LOL!

Meeta K. Wolff said...
August 7, 2007 at 9:40:00 AM GMT+2  

Welcome to the Daily Tiffin!
Mmm, the box looks delicious... but it has a dangerous side effect: Now I want to take out my lunchbox and eat it for breakfast instead of waiting until lunch!

;)

August 7, 2007 at 9:51:00 AM GMT+2  

Hi Glenna, Loved your healthy lunchbox. Thats something I would love to eat everyday!

Poonam said...
August 7, 2007 at 1:52:00 PM GMT+2  

lovely dinnerbox glenna! and welcome to the daily tiffin!

Anonymous said...
August 7, 2007 at 1:57:00 PM GMT+2  

Woohoo! More people get to see Glenna's great lunches! Keep an eye out, ladies and gents -- she knows her way around a kitchen!

Anonymous said...
August 8, 2007 at 4:09:00 PM GMT+2  

I love that combination. It looks delicious, and healthy.

Anonymous said...
August 9, 2007 at 8:01:00 PM GMT+2  

Thanks for your welcome and your kind comments!

Glenna said...
August 20, 2007 at 9:01:00 AM GMT+2  

Post a Comment