Friday, January 19, 2007
Posted by Meeta K
Here is an easy but delicious dish with Penne pasta smothered in Tomato and cheese and also full of bone building calcium which is good for the whole family. Tastes wonderful just out of the oven. Serve with a salad for healthy balanced meal.
You Need: Serves 4-6
12 oz. penne pasta ( 3 cups), or any other kind you like,uncooked
1 lb. lean ground beef or turkey or Chicken or Italian Sausage,case removed
1/2 cup grated or chopped mixed vegetables
2 cans (145 oz. each) Diced Tomatoes with Basil, Garlic and Oregano, undrained
1 can (15 oz.) Tomato sauce
2 packages (8 oz each ) Shredded Mozzarella or Bistro blend Cheese, divided
(Reserve half for topping; stir remaining cheese into pasta mixture)
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
No-Stick Cooking spray or Olive oil
1. Cook pasta ,drain and keep it aside. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Heat 2 tsp butter, saute` grated vegetables like onion, Green bell pepper,carrots ,celery etc in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
3. Add in ground meat ,brown. Stir in tomatoes and tomato sauce, bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered for 6-8 minutes. Add salt and pepper.
3. Add cooked pasta to meat mixture or vegs. Toss well. Add half of the of the cheese; mix again. Spray a 13 by 9 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
4. Pour pasta mixture into dish; top with remaiining cheese. Place it in the oven.
5. Bake for 20 minutes or until bubbly and cheese is melted.
Note: If you want to make it vegetarian, add 2-3 cups of chopped mixed veg to replace meat.
If you don't have canned Basil tomatoes, add diced tomatoes with 1 tsp garlic pd, 1/2 each tsp dry Basil and Oregano.
If you would like cut down the amount of cheese to just 8 oz, that should be okay too.
(Recipe: Sargento.com with some changes)
This recipe was written by Asha of Foodies Hope.
Are you interested in contributing to The Daily Tiffin? Drop us an email: email@example.com. We look forward to hearing your ideas.