THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT YOGURT...

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Posted by Deeba PAB

There's something about YOGURT, & I'm hooked to it. Sometimes I think I'm taking it too far, & substituting cream with yogurt too often, but it's a habit that grows on you. On indulgent days my panna cotta will have cream, but otherwise, it'll have a thick hung yogurt, referred to here as 'curd cheese' or 'shrikhand'. Yogurt is the most versatile ingredient in my fridge, & the benefits are manifold. Amongst others, yogurt
  • may help you to live longer, and may fortify your immune system
  • can significantly improve the cholesterol profile
  • contains lactoferrin, an iron-binding protein that boosts the growth and activity of osteoblasts (the cells that build bone)
  • has Lactobacillus, a probiotic (friendly) bacteria which offers "remarkable preventive and curative" effects on arthritis
  • strengthens the immune system
  • is helpful in the battle against ulcers

Chocolate Yogurt Cake

Yogurt is a very good source of iodine, calcium, phosphorus, and vitamin B2. It is also a good source of protein, vitamin B12, potassium, molybdenum, zinc and pantothenic acid. These 10 nutrients alone would make yogurt a health-supportive food. Some of the most interesting health information about yogurt comes from its potential inclusion of live bacteria.

It's no secret at home that I make my ice-creams/frozen yogurt desserts, my egg less cheesecake & sour cream etc with yogurt, & the results are delicious. Might well be a good idea to introduce kids to a 'yogurt habit' when young. Mine have been hooked on to it since they were very young. Come summer, winter, spring or fall, there has to be fresh, home-made, chilled yogurt every single day. The daughter isn't so much of a yogurt addict any more (teen thingy?), but the son is a complete 'yogurt freak'! He eats 2-3 bowlfuls with every meal, just plain, sans sugar. The daughter will usually add a tsp of sugar but wolf it down anyway. I set 2 litres of yogurt every alternate day... it's that much part of our existence!! I use it in sauces, in kebabs & curries, in lassi (sweet & sour), to make dips, to make sour cream, to make my cheesecakes (with eggs & without), to make ice-cream, to make chocolate yogurt cake, to make muffins...oh the list is endless! Here's a simple David Levobitz recipe I adapted. It might be a good way to introduce yogurt to frozen desserts this summer, but be warned, it's very addictive. And oh yes, you don't need an ice-cream machine to make this one!

Frozen Strawberry Yogurt
Adapted from David Levobitz
Ingredients:
1 cup (240g) hung curd
1 pound (450g) strawberries, rinsed and hulled
2/3 cup (130g) sugar
1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
Method:
Tie the yogurt in a cheesecloth and let it sit in a strainer in a bowl overnight or for at least 2 hours. This will help drain off all the whey and result in a very creamy frozen yogurt dessert. (I find overnight a better option)
Cut the strawberries and toss them in the sugar until the sugar begins to dissolve. (I used vanilla sugar).
Blend it together to a puree. (Strain if you don't like the seeds in)
Next, blend in the yogurt and lime juice until the mixture is smooth. Adjust the sweetness if required.
Freeze the mixture in a wide dish or plastic container. (The larger the surface area, quicker the freezing – since we have to pulse this mixture a couple of times).
Keep checking on the mixture every 30 minutes or so and use the stick blender to break the icicles, 4, maybe 5 times. (I used a sturdy whisk).
Once it's almost set, you can add a handful of finely chopped fresh basil, or else, some chopped pistachio nuts if you like. Just plain is good too!
Garnish with sliced strawberries & a sprig of basil, or, chopped pistachio nuts & mint!



This post was written by Deeba



Are you interested in contributing to The Daily Tiffin? Drop us an email: thedailytiffin@gmail.com. We look forward to hearing your ideas.

6 comments:

Nice post on yogurt. It sure is versatile. Learning a lot of baking tips from your blog...me no baker...so it's fun to read....yummm posts and pics.

Medini Pradhan said...
April 16, 2009 at 2:27:00 PM GMT+2  

I need to start eating more yogurt. Thanks for the lovely recipe. will try it soon.

Kay said...
April 16, 2009 at 5:53:00 PM GMT+2  

Can you please some other receipes, I tried this one and it was a hit with my family

Unknown said...
April 16, 2009 at 7:28:00 PM GMT+2  

Our whole family enjoys yogurt any way we serve it. I like granola on top for breakfast and my boys enjoy it with fruit. The frozen strawberry yogurt looks delicious!

Andrea Meyers said...
April 17, 2009 at 2:44:00 PM GMT+2  

I didin't know that yogurt is so healthy, although I have heard about it generally! I really like how the cake looks...so yummy!

Samantha said...
April 18, 2009 at 6:24:00 AM GMT+2  

I love my yoghurt too Deebs! In fact my little princess loves her yoghurt too... just rice and yoghurt is enough to satisy her!!

Dharm said...
April 19, 2009 at 11:04:00 AM GMT+2  

Post a Comment