Tarako spaghetti lunches

Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Posted by Biggie @ Lunch in a Box

Pre-packing some or all of the next day's lunch is a practical way of speeding up daily lunch packing and making hectic mornings more manageable. Here I pre-packed leftover pasta the night before and stored it in the refrigerator overnight, briefly warming it in the microwave the next morning to restore the texture of the pasta.

Tarako spaghetti lunch



Contents of my lunch: Tarako spaghetti with onions, red bell peppers and kaiware (daikon sprouts). The top tier holds a section of corn on the cob, plum tomatoes, broccoli with red wine vinaigrette, black Mission fig, and grapes. Tarako is salted cod roe, but I often use jarred Greek tarama for this dish instead.

Morning prep time: 7 minutes, using leftover pasta and corn. I pre-packed the pasta when cleaning up from dinner. In the morning I briefly microwaved the pasta to restore texture, garnished with fresh kaiware, steamed the broccoli in my microwave mini steamer (speeding up cooking time by 50%), and arranged food in the the top tier.

Packing: I used tongs to twist the spaghetti into two large loose nests, making the pasta tier a little nicer looking. Nothing in the top tier was particularly wet, so I didn't use food dividers (edible or otherwise). Packed in a 580ml two-tier Urara Dragonfly box.

Tarako spaghetti lunch for toddlerCooking: Here’s a tarako spaghetti recipe with good notes. I start by sauteing an onion and bell pepper if I have some on hand for color contrast. When I lived in Osaka, I often had it with a little Kewpie mayonnaise stirred into it. Other variations omit the cream in favor of sauteing in butter and tossing in mirin/tarako/mayo (that's what I did here). However you vary it, it’s bound to be good — just get the sauce loose enough to lightly coat the noodles.

Preschooler lunch: Contents are the same as mine. For packing, I used kitchen scissors to cut up the spaghetti into smaller bits (right in the box) that are easier for little hands to manage. Packed in a 270ml one-tier Thomas the Tank Engine box with one hard plastic sub-container removed to fit more pasta, and a 150ml Anpanman side dish container for the fruit. After taking the photo I tucked in a little Anpanman pick for the fruit. Verdict: 5 stars. Bug ate all of this at preschool, nothing left over. Success!




Are you interested in contributing to The Daily Tiffin? Drop us an email: blogmeeta@gmail.com. We look forward to hearing your ideas.

This Post was written by Biggie from Lunch in a Box: Building a Better Bento.

4 comments:

Biggie, these lunches look great. I love the look of those figs. The last time you posted tarako spaghetti I went to our stores here but unfortunately was unable to find them here. Would there be a substitute for these?

Meeta K. Wolff said...
October 10, 2007 at 7:50:00 AM GMT+2  

Looks colourful..!Great pictures..:)

Raks said...
October 10, 2007 at 1:54:00 PM GMT+2  

The lunch box is looking great. I have a 4.5 year old son and was loking for great tiffin ideas when Google(my favorite search engine) led me to this website. I will be visiting again soon.

Giving a healthy,nutritious tiffin for my son is my top priority and this website will help me in getting some good tiffin ideas.

Loved your blog.

Anonymous said...
October 28, 2007 at 7:16:00 PM GMT+1  

Beautiful lunchboxes!!
I'm hosting this month Wholesome Lunchbox event and I would love to have your entry... it can be post already existing on your blog.

Have a good day, Margot

January 18, 2008 at 11:34:00 PM GMT+1  

Post a Comment