Tiffin Tuesday - Autumn soup

Monday, September 17, 2007

Posted by jokergirl@wererabbits

The autumn leaves are starting to drop and the temperatures with it. It feels like we didn't even get a proper summer here at all. Should it already be over for good?
In my home country, I loved autumn. The wine and fruit ripening in the orchards, nuts on every bush and tree, and wonderful clear sunny autumn days...
Here, it proves to be much like the summer: cold and rainy. But what is better to get into the proper autumn appreciation mode than delicious food?





I love pumpkins. They are the embodiment of autumn taste for me. And I especially love pumpkin soup!

There are many variations on pumpkin cream soup, all of which are delicious. This time I found a butternut squash pumpkin in the supermarket and tried out a recipe from Epicurean.com for it. I heartily recommend it! I used soy sauce instead of fish sauce, which works just as well.

The thermal lunchbox holds the butternut squash coconut cream soup decorated with a drizzle of olive oil, a thai basil leaf and some sesame seeds.
The small side box condiments for it (cherry tomatoes, wholewheat toast croutons, grated carrots and leek, bell peppers, thai basil leaves).

Traditionally, pumpkin soup should perfected and decorated with not olive oil, but just a drizzle of pumpkin seed oil, which has a dark green, almost crude-oil-black color and is also called "the black gold of autumn". Mmm... get your hands on some of that oil if you can!



Are you interested in contributing to The Daily Tiffin? Drop us an email: blogmeeta@gmail.com. We look forward to hearing your ideas.

This Post was written by jokergirl from Were Rabbits.


2 comments:

Wow! Great post I just feel like making some now, it sounds delicious and looks really good too.

I'm going to try doing soup for my children's packed lunches. I think we may have to practice at the weekend as they might have trouble opening a thermos.

September 18, 2007 at 8:54:00 PM GMT+2  

Squash and coconut - wow now that is a combination I've got to try. JG this a great idea for the cooler days. We are planning a hiking trip this weekend and I think this is a perfect idea to take along. You rock!

PS. Thanks for taking over ;-)

Meeta K. Wolff said...
September 19, 2007 at 8:11:00 AM GMT+2  

Post a Comment