Let Your Shopping List Work For You

Thursday, June 14, 2007

Posted by YumSugar

I'd like to make a confession. I love grocery shopping. I like walking up and down the aisles perusing the new products. I know some of you share my love, while others find it a big chore. For those of you that need help, I thought I'd share my grocery shopping system with you.

Start by making a list of all of the ingredients you need. The most important thing about this list is to arrange it in sections by thinking of the sections of a grocery store. Put all of your produce on one portion of the page, dairy on another, meats on another, pantry goods in another, and so on and so forth. If you are familiar with your grocery store lay out create your list according to the market's floor plan. At my Safeway I like to start in the produce section and make my way through the back of the store stopping to pick up chicken, bacon, frozen goods, milk, cheese, wine, and bread along the way. Having a list in your hands will also keep you from purchasing impulse foods that aren't good for your wallet or your weight. Once you get used to shopping with your list you will realize that you can be in and out of the grocery store in no time and you might just find you actually enjoy your walks down the super market aisles.




Are you interested in contributing to The Daily Tiffin? Drop us an email: blogmeeta@gmail.com. We look forward to hearing your ideas.

This Post was written by Sabrina from YumSugar.com

6 comments:

Ohhhh I always shop with a list and I have it according to the floor plan, but! I never stick to it and I end up impulse buying... Like yesterday I ended up getting something called Farro.... Not 100% what it is exactly, but it will be fun finding out. I unfortunately look at going to the grocery as an adventure and love looking at everything!!! And one of the must sees when we take a trip is to check out their grocery stores and bring back some new foods. The list is just to remind me more or less what I am running low on....

Pat said...
June 14, 2007 at 7:32:00 AM GMT+2  

I am a notorious list maker. It makes my life easier and more organized. My shopping list is always sorted to the floor plan of the stores I visit and it does become very useful when you are in a hurry. However, on the days I have a bit of spare time I do tend to browse around looking for new items and even impulse buying.
These are some great tips Sabrina. Thanks!

Meeta K. Wolff said...
June 14, 2007 at 9:50:00 AM GMT+2  

These are really good tips for people who don't like shopping. I'm a bit OCD about list making. I make lists about lists, though when it comes to grocery shopping no matter how many times I take a list I can't help impulse buying. Amanda

June 14, 2007 at 1:59:00 PM GMT+2  

My Palm has HandyShopper on it and it's been wonderful for my grocery store trips. Really speeds things up and keeps me on budget.

Biggest rule I have is to never go shopping while I'm hungry. That's just a big mistake.

Scribbit said...
June 15, 2007 at 1:12:00 AM GMT+2  

OHHH! Michelle THAT is a sensational idea - using HandyShopper on the Palm. I am such a tech freak, but I do not have a palm yet. I think it would answer all my prayers of getting myself perfectly organized, instead of carrying shopping lists to the store I could do that on my palm. Now I know what I can wish for on XMAS!

Meeta K. Wolff said...
June 15, 2007 at 7:40:00 AM GMT+2  

My bf's family uses pre-printed grocery lists with things they regularly run out of (milk, eggs, etc., sorted in logical groups) with checkboxes next to them.
Perfect for sending anyone out to grab things!

June 19, 2007 at 7:29:00 AM GMT+2  

Post a Comment