4 Essential Moves Dos and Don'ts

Friday, June 08, 2007

Posted by Helene


I first thought about writing an article on “ 4 Essential Strength Training Moves”, and then I wondered what good it would do if you did not know the proper way to do them.
I plan on doing a bi-monthly installment of the sort so there will be more than the first 4 I am showing here: stationary lunge, push-up, abs crunch and triceps dips


1/ Stationary lunge:
-Stand, with hands on your hips. Place your feet hip-width apart, tighten your abs and look straight ahead.
- Take a big step forward with your right foot so your right knee and ankle are aligned (Rear leg is almost straight.) Distribute your weight evenly between your feet.
- Lower your body until your left knee is a few inches from the ground, then push back up. Next, step forward with your left foot.
Option one: do 2-3 sets of 12-15 reps each on one leg and switch or alternate stepping right and left.
Don't look down. Think vertical, not horizontal: Move hips up and down, not forward and back.
Don't shift your weight forward; keep it over your hips to prevent excess pressure on your knee.
DO

OH NO!


2/ The Pushup:
Position yourself facedown on hands and toes (or knees). Pull abs in and keep body aligned from head to toes (or knees). Bend elbows about 90 degrees and lower chest toward floor. Push up and repeat.
Do not raise your buttocks in the air or curve your back inward.
Do 2-3 sets of 12-15 reps each.
DO
OH NO!

3/ Standard Ab Crunch :
Lie face up with knees bent and feet flat on ground, hands behind head and fingers unclasped.
Contract abs as if to press navel toward spine and raise your head, neck and shoulder blades off ground as a single unit. Pause for a second and lower. Repeat 2-3 sets 10-15 reps each.
DO OH NO!


4/ Triceps Bench Dips :
Sit on the edge of a bench or chair with hands next to hips. Legs can be extended in front of you on floor, toes up, or keep feet flat and knees bent (the closer your feet are to your butt, the easier the move). Straighten arms and lift hips off bench and slightly in front of it. Keeping chest high and shoulders down and back, bend elbows 90 degrees and lower hips toward floor. Keep elbows pulled close tight behind you.
Press up and repeat.
Remember to graze the bench or chair. Do not let your butt move forward.
Do 2-3 sets with 12-15 reps each.
DO OH NO!




Are you interested in contributing to The Daily Tiffin? Drop us an email: blogmeeta@gmail.com. We look forward to hearing your ideas.

This Post was written by Helen from Tartelette

9 comments:

Okay I'm out of breath just reading this! hehe

They are very good pointers though, thanks for sharing!

And you look adorable in your little fitness attire! :D

xoxo

Lis said...
June 8, 2007 at 11:51:00 PM GMT+2  

Helene, I agree with Lis - you are too cute!!

What I often notice when doing the crunches is that after a certain amount of repetitions, normally when I hit the 20/25 mark, I get into that "Oh NO!" position, probably because it becomes more difficult. Would you suggest I reduce the repetitions and do more sets?

I really love this Helene! It's like having my own fitness trainer at home. Forget Cindy Crawford from now ;-)))

Meeta K. Wolff said...
June 9, 2007 at 7:23:00 AM GMT+2  

I would reduce the number if reps. Stay at 20. Also, abs workout are all about quality not quantity. I'd rather you do 2 sets of 20 and call it a day (but do it everyday) than 100 the wrong way.
Remember to contract your abs even before you start the movement.

Helene said...
June 9, 2007 at 2:15:00 PM GMT+2  

Awesome Helen. I aldo enjoyed your previous post and will never forget...make an appt. with yourself. That was a powerful line for me.

Tharini said...
June 9, 2007 at 4:10:00 PM GMT+2  

Tharini: I am glad you are enjoying the articles. It's not always easy, but remember the feel good feeling of one workout session and the rest falls into place. Small steps!

Helene said...
June 9, 2007 at 4:16:00 PM GMT+2  

Wonderful post, thanks alot!

Anonymous said...
June 10, 2007 at 1:01:00 PM GMT+2  

I have a back injury at the moment (torn disc in lower spine so most exercise is out). However after your last post I started keeping a journal of everything I eat and the weight is already starting to fall off. Amazing really considering I'm doing the food blog and we're still having lovely foods. I just eat less of the fat stuff. Thanks Helene.
Amanda

June 11, 2007 at 1:29:00 PM GMT+2  

Hi, those were real good pointers to watch for. Thanks for sharing!

Lakshmi said...
July 17, 2007 at 7:55:00 AM GMT+2  

Well, I guess I should finally get off my butt and go do some of this eh? Guess you talked me into to. Hehe good post.

Anonymous said...
January 27, 2009 at 6:23:00 PM GMT+1  

Post a Comment