For the Love of an 11x7 Pan

Friday, February 09, 2007

Posted by Meeta K. Wolff



I know this may sound quite silly but I simply love my little 11x7 pan. I’m sure it was a hand me down from my mom, evident from her name written on marker on the bottom of the pan. I grew up in a very small town and anytime you took a cake to someone, or even to a potluck, writing your name on the bottom of the pan was the only assurance that your pan would be returned to you.

Okay, back to the lovely 11x7 pan. I haven’t actually found too many recipes designed for this type pan, but I have been happily pouring little cakes into my pan for many years. I love this pan for many reasons. The first being I can cut more pieces of cake from this pan than I can a regular 8x8 pan. From an 8x8 pan, I typically cut nine pieces of cake, which was great when we were a family of three, and things divided easily. But now we are a family of five, and no matter how many times I try, I can not divide nine pieces of cake evenly among five people. Now, the 11x7 pan, I can cut typically cut twelve rectangular pieces. I know, I know, you’re doing the math in your head and you can’t divide twelve pieces among five people evenly either. But at least we all get two pieces, and then two extra to fight over.

The pan is also more shallow than your typical 8x8 square pan. This is good, for lunch packing, as the cakes are not so tall to try to cram into our Laptop Lunchbox. I also think it is a great way to fool yourself into feeling like you ate a normal size piece of cake. You don’t even notice that it isn’t quite as tall as the 8x8 cakes.




One of our favorite recipes for this darling cake pan is a Banana Snack Cake. The kids are getting better at reading recipes. This only happens with practice, and you have to let them make a mess. I love my kids cooking, and I’m sure to write more about that another time.

This recipe is easily changed a bit depending on what you have in the fridge. Instead of the sour cream we’ve used yogurt, buttermilk or just plain milk. Also feel free to add a pinch of nutmeg or cinnamon, or even a handful of chocolate chips.

Banana Snack Cake

1 ¼ c. white sugar

½ c butter

2 eggs, beaten

1 tsp baking soda

¼ c sour cream

1 cup mashed banana

1 ½ c.flour

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 7x11 pan with nonstick baking spray.

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light. Add eggs and beat well. Stir the baking soda into the sour cream and add it to the butter mixture. Beat well. Add the mashed bananas and mix in. Stir in flour and mix well.

Pour batter into prepared pan and bake at 350°F for 45 minutes or until done.





Are you interested in contributing to The Daily Tiffin? Drop us an email: blogmeeta@gmail.com. We look forward to hearing your ideas.

This Post was written by Stephanie from Mix It Up Meals

3 comments:

Suddenly I am ravenous!

johnecother

http://johnecother.com/blog.html

Anonymous said...
February 12, 2007 at 5:51:00 AM GMT+1  

I tried this cake last night and it was fantastic! I swapped out half the flour for whole-wheat, and added a little baking powder to help the heavier flour rise. The banana taste was really great. Thanks for posting the recipe!

Anonymous said...
April 21, 2007 at 6:29:00 PM GMT+2  

Great to hear that this cake turned out so well. Thank you so much for sharing this with us. Hope if anyone else tried it out they'll tell us too.

Meeta K. Wolff said...
April 24, 2007 at 12:53:00 PM GMT+2  

Post a Comment