Vitmain C and A Spice Cake

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Posted by Meeta K. Wolff


How did Thanksgiving go?

Hope you got over it with elegance and there were no major glitches - like burning the turkey!! I was pretty close to burning my roast I can tell you - but just close.
We decided to go out and have a game of football, which is a novelty for my German friends, we were so occupied in the game and had all the neighbors cheering for us that I managed to remember the roast in the nick of time.
Phew!

Today I've got some really scrumptious things lined up for you. The weekly Tiffin idea filled with interesting goodies and a divine recipe of a wonderful treat.

Tiffin Idea
Winter is just around the corner, actually in some parts of the world it has already a tight grip on us. So it is very important to make sure you get the right amount of vitamins to keep away all those illnesses. One very important such vitamin, especially for the winter months is Vitmain C.

Today's lunch box contains a great portion of natural Vitamin C found in fruit. That is an important point to remember. Although there are plenty of pills, syrups and prescription drugs supplemented with Vitamin C, the first choice should really be the fresh and natural fruit and vegetables. Nothing like juicy and sweet tangerines and fresh, ripe kiwis for the extra portion of Vitamin C. Vitamin C should be taken in divided doses throughout the day. Researchers found that an average dosage of 200 mg/day was adequate for men and women, but should be raised for growing children, pregnant women and elderly or sick people. This amount of vitamin C can be obtained from a diet containing five daily servings of fresh fruit and vegetables; unfortunately, less than 15 per cent of children and adults in the USA actually consume such a diet

The funny thing is that I remember my mum telling me the same thing day in day out. Guess that really stuck in my head and now I am forwarding the same message to my own child.

5 fruits a day!

The kiwi contains 90 milligrams per 100 grams and the tangerines 30 milligrams per 100 grams. Not a bad start to the day. Furthermore, there is more to offer in that huge slice of Persimmon Spice Cake.

The cake is also packed with lovely walnuts and aromatic spices to make it just perfect for this time of year. Yes! The recipe is below! I used a really lovely cilantro and garlic pita bread for the sandwich and filled it with some herb flavored cream cheese and slices of ripe cherry tomatoes.

Persimmon Spice Cake
Ingredients:

4 - 6 ripe and soft persimmons - peeled and puréed. You can use an electric mixer or blender for this.
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
115 grams butter
200g brown sugar
350g all-purpose flour
1 egg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground clove powder
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
60g walnuts or pecans - coarsely chopped






Method:

Preheat oven at 180 degrees Celsius.

Add the baking soda to the puréed persimmon. You will notice that the persimmon will set and become more solid. No cause for alarm. Although this might look strange it is perfectly normal.

In a mixing bowl whisk the butter and sugar with and electric mixer, until creamy and fluffy. Stir in the persimmon and egg, beating until well combined. Using a rubber spatula, stir in the dry ingredients to the persimmon mixture. Blend in well and stir in the nuts.

Spoon the batter into a round greased cake pan and bake for 40-50 minutes or until the knife comes out clean.

Take out and allow to cool on a rack. Sprinkle generously with icing sugar. If you would like to freeze this cake then skip this part and freeze in an airtight container.

I have more details, pictures and information to the spice cake here.

Hope you enjoy this!



This Post was written by MEETA from What's For Lunch, Honey?

6 comments:

Hi Meetha,
this is meena from http://cookingpleasures.blogspot.com called Cookingpleasures. I got a request from asha for sending any meal dish every wednesday or any wednesday for once or twice a month. I will send a recipes once or a twice a month with photograph to you through mail. I doe'nt know what sixe photograph I should send.Please email me back If you have read my mail. Thank you Meetha and Good luck for your new project of daily tiffins:-))

November 28, 2006 at 8:26:00 PM GMT+1  

Wow. I love all the information and inspiration on the subject of vitamin C. But best of all? Cake, of course.

Anonymous said...
November 29, 2006 at 7:49:00 PM GMT+1  

Meena Thank you very much for your offer. I shall get in touch with you within the next few days.

BL I thought you would like the cake. Soeren just went mad about it so I think your boys might like it too. Let me know when you bake it.

Meeta K. Wolff said...
November 30, 2006 at 8:50:00 AM GMT+1  

What a fantastic idea for the cake. Perfect.

d

Anonymous said...
November 30, 2006 at 10:25:00 PM GMT+1  

This is really informative. I like the five fruit a day - something easy for us and the little ones to remember. Thank you for this one.

Anonymous said...
December 1, 2006 at 7:49:00 AM GMT+1  

D Thank you. Glad you liked it.

Maya You welcome and yes the "5 fruit a day" mantra is easy for the kids to remember and to tell you the truth I keep saying that to myself too when I have not been good with my fruit eating LOL!

Meeta K. Wolff said...
December 2, 2006 at 8:18:00 PM GMT+1  

Post a Comment