Friday, March 26, 2010
Posted by Dee
My Daughter and I landed in India early this month. It was indeed a learning experience even though we traveled quite a few times. Here are a few tips to remember while travelling with infants/toddlers.
1. Before you leave , ensure that you take your child to the doctor for a wellness check up. Make sure that all his/her vaccinations, booster shots are given.
2. Ensure that you take enough food for you and your baby. Keep in mind that you might get delayed or be unable to catch a connecting flight. The airlines have cut back drastically on the food size for all its travellers, Ask for more food if you need. Do not hesitate , they always keep a stash of bread and fruits, especially for pregnant women or for people who suffer from diabetes.
3. Keep ample bottles /sippy cups / straw cups for the entire journey as you may not be able to wash and reuse.
4. Keep at least more than 5-7 pairs of outfits that keep warm for your baby , they will come in handy if your child is not doing too well.
5. Make a list and keep a stash of all the baby's medication. Take extra stuff just in case.
6. Some pharmacies sell earplugs only for toddlers , in case , your child is above 2 years of age , do keep them with you , apart from cotton plugs.
7. Also you have lollipops for toddlers to suck during the takeoff . They are a good alternative to keep.
8. Always try to give the bottle first , and then go for the other alternatives , Make sure you don't overfeed the child. Feed moderately at regular intervals and dont force feed. Keep them well hydrated.
9. If you are travelling to a place which has mosquitos , these days you get organic mosquito repellents, keep a stock of them.
9. Most importantly don't panic , the more the parents panic , the less control we have over the situation, Its hard to think logically when your baby is not doing well or when its your first flight , but its very important for us to be in control. Try and be as cool as possible. They say your baby can sense your mood and it can affect them . Be cool and calm and don't hesitate to take help from the air hostess or your fellow passengers . If it works then go for it !
This post was written by Dee
Are you interested in contributing to The Daily Tiffin? Drop us an email: email@example.com. We look forward to hearing your ideas.