The Best After School Chocolate Chip Cookies

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Posted by YumSugar


All the little ones (and big ones too) are headed back to school, and I don't know about you, but school always makes me think of chocolate chip cookies. My mom wasn't the kind of gal to make them for us after school (we had "weird" Chinese food like runny rice or chinese cake instead), but I always fantasized about having a huge batch waiting for me. When I went to college I decided that if I was going to have a batch of cookies waiting for me, I was going to have to make them myself.

So I made batch, after batch, after batch. All in hopes of discovering the perfect chocolate chip cookie. Many years later I think I've finally come close. My recipe after the jump.

My Fave Cookies!
2 1/4 cups flour (this time I used all-purpose, but it works great with 1 1/2 cups wheat 3/4 cups all-purpose)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt

2 sticks of unsalted butter (room temp)
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs (room temp)
1 tbsp milk
1 12oz package of chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 375F.
2. Sift together flour, baking soda and salt into small bowl. Set aside.
3. In large bowl, beat butter until creamy - add granulated sugar and brown sugar until smooth.
4. Mix in vanilla extract.
5. Add 1 egg, mix well. Add 2nd egg, mix well.
6. Gradually mix in flour mixture (I do it in thirds).
7. Mix until all ingredients are incorporated. Add in milk. Mix well - batter should be slightly creamy, but not smooth like cake batter.
8. Once batter is thoroughly combined, mix in chocolate chips.
9. Using a large ice cream scoop, scoop out the mixture (level off with the back side of a knife) and place onto baking sheet (lined with parchment paper or silpat).
10. Scoop dough out until pan is full (about 2-3 inches apart).
11. Bake for 11-13 minutes or until golden brown.
12. Leave on pan for 2 minutes then transfer to wire rack for cooling.

These result in large puffy cookies that start to crisp on the outside, but are good and chewy on the inside. Make a huge batch, grab a glass of milk and turn on the afterschool cartoons



Are you interested in contributing to The Daily Tiffin? Drop us an email: blogmeeta@gmail.com. We look forward to hearing your ideas.

This Post was written by Sabrina from YumSugar



4 comments:

Yes me tooooo! I love choc chip coolies and I remember my mum baking them for us too. So perfect that you should post this - I was thinking of making a batch next week for a kiddies tea party!

Meeta K. Wolff said...
September 19, 2007 at 9:11:00 PM GMT+2  

I heard using Crisco instead of butter is what makes the cookies really soft. But I somehow think butter is a better option...

Kanchana

September 19, 2007 at 10:14:00 PM GMT+2  

I hardly ever make cookies but I think we might give yours a try. I'll let you know how they go down with the after school crew. :)

September 20, 2007 at 8:34:00 AM GMT+2  

Hi, im in new zealand and i was wondering how much 2 sticks of butter is? We dont have anything like that over here, and also how many does this make? Would i just put in a tray at a time, let it cool then put another tray in??
Thanks sooo much, cant wait to make them.....

Natasha

Anonymous said...
September 25, 2007 at 3:13:00 AM GMT+2  

Post a Comment