What do you do when you and your kid are under the weather?

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Posted by Meeta K. Wolff

Does this sound familiar?

Your kid falls ill. High temperatures and a flu. You spend most of the day looking after them and on the next day that flu has taken it's grip on you too. You are feeling rotten, head is heavy and everything hurts. On top of that your kid needs a fit and reliable mum to get him back into shape. Daddies do their best, but to be honest you are left largely on your own.

What do you do with your kid to keep them busy during times like these? The situation described is actually what we at our household are going through this week.

Normally when I am fit, I keep Soeren busy with little card games, puzzles, reading stories and listening to audio books. However, on days like today all I really want to do is get under the covers and have someone read to me ;-). The idea of putting your child in front of the T.V. makes me cringe. An idea from a friend of mine who is currently in the same situation with both her kids. So, I pose this question to you.

How do you keep your kid busy when both are under the weather?



Are you interested in contributing to The Daily Tiffin? Drop us an email: blogmeeta@gmail.com. We look forward to hearing your ideas.

This Post was written by MYNAME from BLOGNAME

4 comments:

You could listen to books on tape together. I'll admit, when we're all sick I do resort to television for all of us as we curl up together on the couch, but I can understand wanting to stay far, far away!

Kathy said...
February 28, 2007 at 1:47:00 AM GMT+1  

When we are under the weather,
1. My 6 year old and i watch a partly grown-up, partly kid movie like 'Flushed Away'(recent hit!) or a National Geographic documentary.
2. We both settle into our master bed with reams of paper, crayons(for the kiddo) and pen(for me, but i hardly draw. I just scribble my name a couple of times and watch him draw).
3. I make him write an entry in his journal about an upcoming thing of interest or a great weekend he had recently. Sometimes i encourage him to write a small essay on his favorite holiday, what he likes about our family best, a movie review(!), or a letter to grandparents etc
4. We try the easiest cookie recipe (together). Actually, he makes them under my watchful eye. I sit on the couch in the kitchen, under my comforter and order him around ;).
5. I make him count the number of socks in his socks drawer in his room. So he comes back and tells me there are 18 pairs and i challenge him that i have counted 20 when i put them in the drawer. This is by far my most sadistic way of keeping him busy.
6. We read our own thing seperately, in bed.
7. We go over the list of relations(as Indians, we have many chithappas,periappas,pattis,annas,akkas etc) and where each one lives and for good measure, which class they are in if they're kids.
8. Take a nap together(pretty duh, huh?)
-Anasuya

Anonymous said...
March 1, 2007 at 1:54:00 AM GMT+1  

play a board game. i'm talking of my 36-year old kid. get well soon, meeta and soeren.

- bee

bee said...
March 2, 2007 at 10:45:00 PM GMT+1  

Honestly, when we are all under the weather, we all get slammed pretty bad with the bug and there is no energy in anyone of us. I recently bought a Leapfrog system and a Vtech kiddi computer for both my boys which have interesting games and puzzles on them...they are happy playing with those in bed...but for the most part, naps are the best..that way,the road to recovery is faster!
trupti

TNL said...
March 9, 2007 at 2:37:00 PM GMT+1  

Post a Comment