Pretzel & Pineapple

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Posted by Meeta K. Wolff


Got an email for a loyal blog reader yesterday evening. She mentioned that she watched a very interesting report about Germany on TV. They talked about the great places to visit and of course the food. Although I have admitted this in the past before, I do like some German dishes but I do not count the German cuisine really as my favorite. However, what I do LOVE is the German bread. In the comments from yesterday's tiffin there was pure happiness as HN found a German bakery in DC. I hope you come back and tell us where it is just in case there are a few others out there in the DC area.

We also talked about doing a little review on German bread. Well, I have been playing with the idea for a while and think now is the time to stop playing and get into action. I will spend the next few weeks taking pictures and writing notes about the breads i use at home and sometime in the future will do a post about it. What do you think?

So, when we talk about German breads, we cannot forget the Pretzel. That is what Soeren got in his lunchbox today. Honestly, I only managed to fit half in there but for the picture took the whole ;-) It is spread with cream cheese and with that a "Knacker" which is a nice thin salami. A container full of pineapple so juicy and refreshing and a wonderful (half) organic banana. When you have tasted an organic banana you never want to go back to the other stuff. Today' treat a soft spongy chocolate cake.

Adult Variation:What withe the pretzel and salami this is such a lovely and almost traditional German lunchbox I would not want to change a thing. Just in case you want something more filling. Did you know that you can fill the pretzel like any sandwich? Give it a go and let me know what ideas you came up with.

Happy lunching!

2 comments:

I'm looking forward to your review of German breads! I love bread but since I live alone I can't buy too much of it, because 90% would get thrown away. I freeze what I buy, but I have lots of other stuff to freeze as well. I'll have to enjoy all of the delicious breads vicariously through your blog and posts on the flickr groups.

Anonymous said...
June 30, 2006 at 3:06:00 AM GMT+2  

Hi Meena!
Here's the German bakery info in Washington DC. http://www.heidelbergbakery.com/ I never made it there yet because the Mapquest directions were wrong and I got lost. However I plan on trying again soon with camera in hand and will post photos and a review of the bakery on my blog!

Anonymous said...
July 2, 2006 at 5:11:00 AM GMT+2  

Post a Comment