Tiffin Tuesday - Potato salad bento

Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Posted by jokergirl@wererabbits





I finally cracked and made my own potato salad and "meatball" bento - looks Scandianvian, doesn't it?
Homemade potato salad though, and the "meatballs" are falafels.
I can't stand storebought potato salad, so it's made from scratch. I got lazy with the falafels instead - they come pre-fried and just need microwaving. Very handy!
Then there's some gardengrown salad and some cherry tomatoes, a skewered pickle and some red beets (which were the last of my freezer stash).

Pretty simple bento, but I came home late from training and STILL made the potato salad from scratch then. (I make my own mayonaise - I can't stand salad with storebought mayo.) So - simple-looking, but not that simple.



Potato salad

About 600g potatoes, boiled, peeled and still warm! Boil while you make the mayo and chop the rest of the ingredients.

Mayonaise: 1 room-temperature egg
unflavoured oil (I use corn or sunflower)
Salt
1 Tsp. mustard

Beat the egg, then beat in the oil in a thin stream until emulsion forms. Add salt and mustard. I did the whole thing in a food processor and added 4-5 small pickles in the end, which got chopped up in the mayonaise. Saves time.

Salad
2-3 Tsp. Sourcream (I don't like sourcream all that much, so I use thick yoghurt. It gives a different taste though, which is somewhat rougher than sourcream.)
1/2 red onion, chopped
2-3 Tsp. vinegar (preferable apple, if you have it)
Mix with the mayonaise. Add salt and pepper to taste (and don't be afraid to file on the recipe a little until it matches your taste!)

Peel the potatoes and chop them into slices. Toss with the salad while still warm. Cool at room temperature and enjoy!

It's not the most spectacular or complicated recipe, actually. I like simple and tasty things - even when eating vegetarian!

Are you interested in contributing to The Daily Tiffin? Drop us an email: thedailytiffin@gmail.com. We look forward to hearing your ideas.

This Post was written by jokergirl from WereRabbits


3 comments:

Kudos to you for making your own mayo! i prefer homemade any day. but as we do not eat much of it i do not make it that often. i do substitute mayo in my potato salad for quark though.

Meeta K. Wolff said...
September 10, 2008 at 8:56:00 AM GMT+2  

Im with you, I can't eat storebought mayo, the tastes makes me want to gag. (And now I am craving potato salad... yummm)

Do you make your own falafel?

September 10, 2008 at 9:34:00 AM GMT+2  

Looks good to me! I would have this for lunch in a flash. Yum!

September 13, 2008 at 12:13:00 AM GMT+2  

Post a Comment