Lighting Up Faces Before Lights Off

Thursday, December 07, 2006

Posted by Shah cooks

My son and we have a very simple sleep routine. It started when he was a baby and we read books to him to calm him down and get him ready for bed. He loved it and still goes to sleep just like that after a couple of books read to him (or now read with him as he has started reading). I know those of you who have a sleep rebel on their hands are envious and all I can say each to his/her own methods of calming down. Stick to a routine and they have something familiar to fall back on every day whether its a bath or a song or a book.

So now he has a bigger collection of books than we have and along with him, we too enjoy the variations and subtle jokes in the children’s books. Some of them remind us of our childhood when we were not so proper and were way too rambunctious for our parents. The books speak of experiences gently while entertaining at the same time. This time I am going to introduce you to three of our favorites. You may already be familiar with them but if you are not, welcome aboard.



A book we love to read at bedtime is “Sometimes I like to curl up in a ball” By Vicki Churchill. It is a sweet story of a wombat (Australian marsupials) who plays around the whole day but as night falls yearns for the comfort of his mother’s side. It has spectacular illustrations and makes you want to read it again and again. A comfort book.





The other favorite is DK First Encyclopedia which is packed with clear, well-researched information and quizzes for curious minds. Lively photographic design makes it especially appealing for children ages 4 and up and starts them off on the whole encyclopedia journey. The information is given in bite-sized key points and fact buttons in keeping with the junior minds and the material is similar to what is discussed in school.




The third book or rather magazine we love is “Zoobooks”, a monthly subscription magazine focusing on one type of animal. It has eye popping illustrations, educational diagrams and entertaining photos. Each book is a keeper as a future reference. It introduces ideas such as endangered animals, while describing an animal and its habits and habitats. It is a wonderful gift to give an inquisitive kid.




Do let me know which is your and your kid's favorite book. I could add more to my library too and we could make a best loved list by age group.

For Your Info: From December 11 to December 22 Meeta will be hosting a prize for the Menu For Hope III fundraiser. It would be great if the Daily Tiffin readers help raise money for this special cause by bidding on the surprise prize. Every penny you bid will be sent to the United Nations World Food Programme. In return you will be able to get your hands on a special prize. Many of us are taking part and you will find more details here.

This Post was written by Shaheen from Malabar Spices.

7 comments:

Shaheen, I loved your write-up and particularly the title. That is just what it is. A small face all scrubbed and shiny and happily looking forward to the story telling session. Initially I was a bit lazy about reading everyday,but I have now realised that it is the best gift I can give my child. I'll definitely miss these sessions when he grows up. I'll send across a couple of pics of the books my son loves.

Anupama said...
December 7, 2006 at 4:00:00 PM GMT+1  

I loved your article,I have DK book too! Ofcourse,my kids way more older than your's:)

Anonymous said...
December 7, 2006 at 4:53:00 PM GMT+1  

My son is 20 now, but how we once loved to read ZooBooks! Thanks for the memory.--Anne

Anonymous said...
December 7, 2006 at 9:38:00 PM GMT+1  

Nice books shaheen!
We subscribe Highlights for Children & National Geographic Kids for my third grader. She has a wonderful collection of other books too...Also, she checks out lots of books from the library. Lately she has been reading a lot. I am glad because I would prefer her reading rather than playing on computer or nintendo.

Anonymous said...
December 8, 2006 at 6:08:00 AM GMT+1  

Shaheen,
Wonderful post. Reading books is a great thing and boosts the imagination for the little ones. Soeren loves his bedtime stories and nothing in the world would make him more disappointed if we had to miss it one evening. Thank you for this one.

Meeta K. Wolff said...
December 8, 2006 at 7:47:00 AM GMT+1  

Lovely post ! I love to read to my twins at bedtime. Our city library has excellent collection. Even though they have started reading, I prefer that I read their bedtime stories simply because I get their happy, expressive faces.

Krithika said...
December 8, 2006 at 3:22:00 PM GMT+1  

Very cute reviews. Wud love to try out these books.

When you get a chance....do check out some reviews at www.saffrontree.blogspot.com. Some of us have put up a list of favorite books there!

Anonymous said...
December 21, 2006 at 4:49:00 AM GMT+1  

Post a Comment